Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre)
- CRICOS Code: 075490A
- VTAC Code: 3800638951
- International VTAC Code: 3800638953
- 3 years full time
- Honours available
- On Campus (Southbank)
- Available to domestic and international students
- Start Year Intake - February
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre) course offers intensive studio-based actor training that produces industry-ready, professional performers with a strong sense of individual expression.
VCA Music Theatre has a strong connection to Melbourne’s thriving music theatre profession. Students participate in daily studio-based training with working artists, and in industry master classes with international guest teachers. We take a highly personalised approach to our training, supporting your unique qualities while developing your artistic and technical capacity.
The program offers extensive practical training in music theatre’s three principal disciplines – singing, acting and dancing – with specialist staff in each area. A fourth core subject explores the practice of these skills in combination for music theatre performance.
Breadth subjects at each year level enable you to explore cross disciplinary studies from the wider University community, accessing multi-disciplinary knowledge and skills that will build on existing knowledge or present opportunities for you to investigate and develop new interests.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge required in acting, singing, and dancing for professional music theatre and the performing arts fields
- Learn to implement style and character through the performer's "instrument of expression" to the demands of text and choreography
- Work collaboratively within a creative process to create professional performance outcomes
- Contribute to musical theatre productions that create pathways to prospective employment and professional networks within the music theatre industry.
Upon completion of the course, you may choose to apply for a fourth-year Honours degree. An honours year provides an intensive mode of study allowing you to master your specialisation and create a pathway into advanced graduate study options in acting.