Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre)
- CRICOS Code: 075490A
- VTAC Code: 3800638951
- International VTAC Code: 3800638953
- 3 years full time
- Honours available
- On Campus (Southbank)
- Available to domestic and international students
- Start Year Intake - March
VCA Music Theatre is an intensive skills-building program that produces industry-ready, professional performers with a strong sense of individual expression.
VCA Music Theatre has a strong connection to Melbourne’s thriving music theatre profession. Students participate in daily studio-based training with working artists, and in industry master classes with international guest teachers. We take a highly personalised approach to our training, supporting your unique qualities while developing your artistic and technical capacity.
The program offers extensive practical training in music theatre’s three principal disciplines – singing, acting and dancing – with specialist staff in each area. A fourth core subject explores the practice of these skills in combination for music theatre performance.
Masterclasses and international guest teachers
Melbourne is the home of music theatre in Australia and the VCA has a strong connection to the city’s thriving professional scene. Gain knowledge through studio-based training with working artists, masterclasses with international guest teacher. And you'll also be encouraged to develop and perform new works under the guidance of guest artists.
Over three years you will develop a rich and variable set of approaches and practices that can be applied independently, whether in auditions or rehearsals throughout your professional career. In your third year, the focus is on preparing you to enter the industry.
You will work with professional directors, musical directors and choreographers in your two final-year performance seasons. You will be given immersive specialist training in auditioning, covering dance, singing and acting calls, and undertake numerous mock auditions, featuring many accompanists you will meet and work with in the professional world.
- Synthesise vocal, physical and acting skills to develop a holistic music theatre performance
- Adapt skills and creative choices to develop performance in accord with given direction, musical direction and choreography
- Develop a repertoire of prepared work (songs and monologues) for audition purposes to a professional standard
- Have an enhanced understanding of the construction and development of works for music theatre