Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Art)
- CRICOS Code: 093589G
- VTAC Code: 3800638991
- International VTAC Code: 3800638993
- 3 years full time
- Honours available
- On Campus (Southbank)
- Available to domestic and international students
- Start Year Intake - February
The Visual Art specialisation offers an immersive, studio-based environment that fosters self-directed studio practice in your choice of drawing and printmaking, painting, photography or sculpture.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Art) is a specialist course that will help you develop practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the visual arts. Our studio and workshop facilities will provide you with the opportunity to explore both traditional and new media under the guidance of some of Australia’s most respected art educators and artists.
From the outset, you will be assigned your own studio area to investigate and experiment with a range of concepts, materials, techniques and processes, developing your unique artistic style.
Studying visual art at Melbourne will help you develop practical skills as well as the language to engage critically with your own and others’ visual art practice. This will prepare you for diverse industry career options from art curatorship to preservation.
Breadth subjects at each year level enable you to explore cross disciplinary studies from the wider University community, accessing multi-disciplinary knowledge and skills that will build on existing knowledge or present opportunities for you to investigate and develop new interests.
- Obtain knowledge and skills to maintain an independent artistic practice
- Develop confidence to undertake experimental technical/artistic approaches in developing set projects
- Develop understanding of topics in contemporary art criticism and aesthetic theory
- Your studies will culminate in a resolved body of artwork for inclusion in the Graduate Exhibition.
Upon completion of the course, you may choose to apply for a fourth-year Honours degree. An honours year provides an intensive mode of study allowing you to master your specialisation and create a pathway into advanced graduate study options in acting.