Bachelor of Music (Interactive Composition)
- CRICOS Code: 058837J
- VTAC Code: 3800638231
- International VTAC Code: 3800638233
This information will help you find the most useful and relevant admission and selection requirements based on your circumstances.
- Completed secondary education recently (within the past two years)
1. In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed one of:
(a) the Victorian Certificate of Education, including VCE Units 3 and 4 – either a study score of at least 25 in one of English, English Language or Literature, or a study score of at least 30 in English as an Additional Language;
(b) the International Baccalaureate Diploma, including at least Grade 4 in English or English B (Standard Level or Higher Level); or
(c) a senior secondary program, foundation studies program, or equivalent approved by the Academic Board, including appropriate English language studies.
Applicants are also required to complete an audition, test, interview, workshop, portfolio or folio presentation, as prescribed by the Academic Board for the Major to which entry is sought:
Interactive Composition Major
- folio audition; and
- set creative task; and
- performance audition; and
- prior academic performance.
Meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
2. In ranking applications, the Selection Committee will consider:
- performance in an audition; and/or
- performance in folio audition; and
- prior academic performance, and
3. The Selection Committee may seek further information to clarify any aspect of an application in accordance with the Academic Board rules on the use of selection instruments.
4. For applicants who have not completed the Victorian Certificate of Education or the International Baccalaureate Diploma, the undergraduate English language requirements must be met.
- For applications through the Victorian Tertiary Admission Centre, “middle-band” selection adjustments are made only on the basis of eligibility for Access Melbourne.
- Details for the performance audition and folio audition requirements can be found on this website.
All applicants will be ranked based on the criteria listed in the Auditions and Interviews page, up to the capacity of places within the course.
- Advanced standing
Advanced standing (sometimes known as credit or recognition of prior learning) may be awarded based on prior study. Advanced standing is not awarded for work experience in undergraduate degrees.
- Domestic applicants with overseas qualifications
If you are currently completing your secondary school studies outside Australia, review more information about your application process.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
We are committed to improving participation in higher education by Indigenous students. If you tell us you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent (through the VTAC course application and/or the VTAC SEAS application), your status will be verified by Murrup Barak, the Melbourne Institute for Indigenous Development.
Once verified, an assessment will be made to determine whether you are likely to succeed in the course you apply for. The usual entry requirements and entry standards for the course will not necessarily apply. However, they will be considered as part of the assessment of whether you are ‘likely to succeed’. When determining your ‘likelihood to succeed’, the additional support available through Murrup Barak and the Wilin Centre will be taken into consideration.
For some applicants, an Indigenous selection guarantee may apply. Indigenous applicants regularly receive offers when their ATAR (or notional ATAR) is significantly below the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made and the minimum ATAR for a course
- Student profile of the Bachelor of Music
The table below gives an indication of the likely peer cohort for new Bachelor of Music students at the University of Melbourne. It provides data on students who commenced undergraduate study and were enrolled after the census date in Semester 1, 2020. It includes students offered the Bachelor of Music, the Bachelor of Music (Chancellor’s Scholars) and Graduate Degree Packages including the Bachelor of Music.
Applicant background Number of students Percentage of all students Higher education study (domestic) 31 15.4% Vocational education and training (VET) study (domestic) < 5 N/P Work and life experience (admitted on the basis of previous achievement not in the other categories) (domestic) < 5 N/P Recent secondary education - admitted solely on the basis of ATAR (regardless of whether this includes the consideration of adjustment factors such as equity) (domestic) N/A N/A Recent secondary education - admitted where both ATAR and additional criteria were considered (eg, audition, interview) (domestic) 144 71.6% Recent secondary education - admitted on the basis of other criteria only and ATAR was not a factor (eg, portfolio, audition, entrance test etc) (domestic) N/A N/A Recent secondary education - overseas secondary qualification (not including the International Baccalaureate Diploma) (domestic) < 5 N/P International students 17 8.5% All students 201 100.0%
<5 - the number of students is less than 5.
N/A - students not accepted in this category.
N/P - not published, the number is hidden to prevent calculation of numbers in cells with less than 5 students.