Bachelor of Music (Interactive Composition)
- CRICOS Code: 058837J
- VTAC Code: 3800538231
- International VTAC Code: 3800538233
How to apply
Applying for mid-year intake (July)
- Mid-year entry is open to all domestic applicants with at least 50 credit points from another tertiary institution.
- Mid-year auditions are via recorded audition and are uploaded to SlideRoom.
- Domestic applications open (via VTAC) 8 April 2019
- All mid-year applications close 7 June 2019, 5pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC+10)
- Applications including an auditions/folio upload be submitted by 7 June 2019.
Applying for 2020 Semester 1 intake (February) - main assessment round (for domestic and international students)
- Applications open: early August 2019 (as per VTAC dates)
- Applications close: 30 September 2019, 11.59pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC+10)
How to apply
There are three components to each application. Applicants must submit components 1-2 before the application closing date:
STEP 1 Course application
All domestic students apply for this course through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Applications for start year 2019 are now closed.
If you are a domestic student studying your final year of secondary school outside Australia, you still apply through VTAC and you must submit your final results, as soon as they are available, to VTAC. You can submit your application to VTAC before you get your final results.
If you are applying to commence in second-year or later, you still need to apply through VTAC.
If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, you may like to contact our Faculty’s Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development before proceeding. They can assist you with your application and provide you with additional information about your study options.
* International students who are completing Year 12 studies in Australia must apply through VTAC and complete their Audition Application Form as a domestic applicant.
STEP 2 Audition application form via SlideRoom
Once your course application is submitted through VTAC, you will be directed to complete and submit the Audition Application Form through SlideRoom. In addition to the VTAC application fee, applicants will be charged a non-refundable Faculty administration fee of USD$55, payable via SlideRoom. Information will be provided in your VTAC application with direct links to SlideRoom. You need to do this before the VTAC application closing date.
STEP 3 Submit an audition/folio
All applicants must attend or submit an audition/folio submission as part of the final component of their application. For more information on the audition and interview, see Auditions & Interviews.
Mid-year applicants must submit auditions and folios by the due date listed above.
Start-year applicants must submit recorded audition/folios or attend a live audition in November and will be contacted about this process and specific dates after applications close.
Applicants will be required to demonstrate their creative skills as interactive composers by undertaking the following tasks including a 20 minute audition: interactive composition folio, creative task and performance. See more information about these requirements under Entry Requirements.
Interested in more than one specialisation or instrument?
Submit one direct application via the Step 1 instructions above and a separate Audition Application Form for each instrument you wish to apply for. You will have to demonstrate proficiency on each instrument. You may also be required to attend separate auditions and will be notified separately of these requirements after the application close dates.
Special Entry Access Scheme (Access Melbourne)
Access Melbourne is the University of Melbourne's special entry and access scheme for domestic students.
It can help you gain a place in a degree even if your ATAR is below the selection rank normally needed for an offer, however you still need to meet course prerequisites.
You can apply using one or more of these categories:
- Disadvantaged financial background
- From a rural or isolated area
- Under-represented school
- Difficult circumstances
- Disability or medical condition
- Non-English speaking background
- Recognition as an Indigenous Australian
- Mature-age consideration (Non-School leaver entry pathway)
Wondering if you are eligible for any of these categories? Each category has its own criteria, so before applying, check to see if you are eligible.
Applications for Access Melbourne and Access Scholarships are made when you apply through VTAC using the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) application form on the VTAC website.
Your offer and enrolment
If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will receive an official offer email from the University of Melbourne explaining how to accept your offer and what you need to do to enrol.