Diploma in General Studies
- VTAC Code: 3800346001
- International VTAC Code: NA
How to apply
- VTAC timely applications close 30 September 2020
- Final day of Semester 2 30 October 2020
- VCE results and ATARs available from 7AM 30 December 2020
- VTAC Change of Preference closes 12PM 4 January 2021
- VTAC January offer round released 2PM 14 January 2021
- VTAC February offer round 1 released 2PM 1 February 2021
Applications for this course are open to domestic students only.
There are two intakes a year for the Diploma in General Studies - Semester 1 and Semester 2. Applications from VCE graduates and mature age applicants are welcome. Students from indigenous or disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply through VTAC:
Applying for Semester 1 intake (February)
All domestic students apply for this course through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).
If you are a domestic student studying your final year of secondary school outside Australia, you still apply through VTAC and you must submit your final results, as soon as they are available, to VTAC. You can submit your application to VTAC before you get your final results.
If you are applying to commence in second-year or later, you still need to apply through VTAC.
Applying for Semester 2 intake (July) – mid year entry
A number of undergraduate courses accept applications for mid-year entry. This is a separate application. For detailed information on eligibility, entry requirements and how to apply, see:
Special Entry Access Scheme - Access Melbourne
Access Melbourne is the University of Melbourne's special entry and access scheme for domestic students.
It can help you gain a place in a degree even if your ATAR is below the selection rank normally needed for an offer, however you still need to meet course prerequisites. You may be also eligible for guaranteed entry and there are Access Scholarships available also.
You can apply using one or more of these categories:
- Disadvantaged financial background
- From a rural or isolated area
- Under-represented school
- Difficult circumstances
- Disability or medical condition
- Non-English speaking background
- Recognition as an Indigenous Australian
- Mature-age consideration (Non-School leaver entry pathway)
Wondering if you are eligible for any of these categories? Each category has its own criteria, so before applying, check to see if you are eligible.
Applications for Access Melbourne and Access Scholarships are made when you apply through VTAC using the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) application form on the VTAC website.
To apply directly:
You can apply directly for this course:
- Please complete the direct entry application form and the special entry form (if applicable)
- Submit your application via email. Please ensure you include all supporting documentation upon submitting your application.
Your offer and enrolment
For Semester 1 entry, VTAC will notify you if you have received an offer for your course in January. You will also receive an official offer email from the University of Melbourne explaining how to accept your offer and what you need to do to enrol.
Before you apply
- Check the entry requirements to make sure you’re eligible
- You can apply directly to the University or you can apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC)
- See if you are eligible for Access Melbourne and submit an application via the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) on the VTAC website
- Check if you are eligible for any scholarships and if any specific applications are needed
- Visit the VTAC website in January to view your offer for Semester 1 entry. If you have been successful you will also get an official email from the University
- Accept your offer to the University of Melbourne and complete your enrolment