Clinical Supervision Online
Supervising clinical learners is an important part of the work of most health professionals. The need to provide an appropriate learning experience must be balanced with ensuring patient quality and safety is maintained. One of the biggest challenges is doing it efficiently as well as effectively, so that the competing demands of clinicians can be managed.
The Clinical Supervision Online course aims to provide the background, understanding and skills for clinicians to create a learning environment within which their learners thrive. Drawing upon the Melbourne Medical School’s popular Excellence in Clinical Teaching (EXCITE) award courses in clinical education, the focus is on what’s most effective in the healthcare workplace.
Effective and efficient skills in clinical supervision are vital for all clinicians who teach. Patient care is our top priority but we also want to give our learners an excellent training experience.
This new online course from the Melbourne Medical School recognises the time pressures on clinicians and presents models of supervision that are both practical and evidence-based, fitting in neatly to the rhythm of each day. Whether you're between patients, on public transport, or just having a quiet moment to yourself, you can improve your skills a few minutes at a time.
Designed for all clinicians who teach and/or supervise learners at any level.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles of successful clinical supervision;
- Identify resources and techniques available to support clinical supervisors in their workplace and know how to use them most effectively;
- Construct a learner-centred approach to clinical supervision and training that maximises patient safety;
- Demonstrate an approach to the provision of feedback to clinical learners that results in performance improvement.
- Tutorial 1: What is Clinical Supervision?
- Tutorial 2: A brief look at educational theories
- Tutorial 3: Coaching Clinical Learners
- Tutorial 4: Learner centered clinical supervision
- Tutorial 5: The challenging Learner
- Tutorial 6: Being a Reflective Supervisor
Assessment is submission of the eLearning self-assessments contained within the course, as well as submission of 10 case studies. A Certificate of Completion is provided upon satisfactorily completing the course.
Course completion requires approximately 10 hours. Although most learning will occur as participants apply new techniques to their daily work. This course is delivered online and students can study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed using a web browser.
"The course was fantastic. It had a sound theoretical framework and delivered highly relevant and practical strategies to use as a clinical supervisor. Being online also was highly accessible and time-friendly. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend the course to anyone involved with clinical supervision."
Prof Steve Trumble
MBBS, MD, DipRACOG, FRACGP - Melbourne Medical School, University of Melbourne, Australia
Steve is Head of the Department of Medical Education in the Melbourne Medical School, University of Melbourne, Australia. His responsibilities span the oversight of the university's medical course and its clinical teacher training program, from which the content of this online course is drawn.
Click on the ‘Enrol now’ button to be guided to the application form.
T: +61 3 8344 5673