Diabetes Academy – What’s New in Diabetes? Advanced
Diabetes Academy - What’s new in diabetes? Advanced Course" is an important clinical update discussing the keys to treatment for diabetes. The course is intended to increase the knowledge and confidence of clinicians caring for people with diabetes. The Advanced course provides essential updates on diabetes and its complications to enable clinicians to understand some of the intricacies and nuances of caring for people living with diabetes.
Diabetes management is rapidly evolving. This e-learning course provides an evidence-based update for clinicians on emerging technologies and novel medications available to improve outcomes in people living with diabetes and its complications. Clinical case studies using video vignettes and multiple-choice questions are designed to optimise comprehension and learning.
The course is suitable for clinicians working in the field of diabetes, including GPs, physician trainees, endocrinologists and endocrine trainees, practice nurses, diabetes nurse educators, general physicians, pharmacists and medical students.
- To understand, download, interpret and manage commercially available closed loop technology
- To understand and manage the impact of exercise, corticosteroids, fasting, sickness and travel on blood glucose management
- To detect, diagnose, and manage diabetic kidney disease, appreciate cardiovascular disease risk for people with diabetic kidney disease
- To define the pathophysiology and epidemiology of diabetic retinopathy, the risk factors, classification, screening and management of diabetic retinopathy
- Recognise and manage the most common dermatological conditions associated with diabetes and cutaneous issues arising from diabetes management.
- To deliver an effective multidisciplinary model of diabetes healthcare for young adults
- Tutorial 1: Closed Loop Technology
- Tutorial 2: Special Considerations in type 1 diabetes
- Tutorial 3: Managing Diabetic Kidney Disease
- Tutorial 4: An update on Diabetic Retinopathy
- Tutorial 5: Skin manifestations of diabetes
- Tutorial 6: Transition of young adults with type 1 diabetes
The assessment is submission of the 6 tutorials, 6 self-assessments and 12 case studies.
A Certificate of Completion is provided upon satisfactory completion of the course.
Course completion requires approximately 12 hours of e-learning.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Program materials can be accessed through the eLearning Education app on mobiles and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Program materials can also be accessed using a web browser.
This course is currently pending accreditation.
A/Prof Elif Ekinci
MBBS, FRACP, PhD
Associate Professor Elif Ekinci is an academic endocrinologist who is working to translate research into improved outcomes for people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. She is the Sir Edward “Weary” Dunlop Medical Research Foundation Principal Research Fellow in Metabolic Medicine at The University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine, Austin Health. She is also the Director of Diabetes at Austin Health, a large tertiary referral centre affiliated with the University of Melbourne, where she co-ordinates the clinical care of inpatients and outpatients with diabetes.
- Dr Catriona Sims
- Dr Barbora Paldus
- Dr Melissa Lee
- Prof David O’Neal
- A/Prof Peter van Wijngaarden
- Jess Tang
- Prof Richard MacIsaac
- A/Prof Elif Ekinci
- Dr Ashani Lecamwasam
- A/Prof Christine Rodda
- Dr Gayle Ross
How much does it cost?
Course Fee: AUD $275.00 (incl. GST)
Student/Doctor in Training/Nurse/Trainee Discounted Fee*: AUD $137.50* (incl. GST)
For discounted group rates for hospitals, schools or clinics please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is online and you can commence anytime. You can complete this course in your own timeframe and most students will formally finish the course within a 12 month period. Once you have registered for the course, you will have lifetime access to the course content.
T: +61 3 8344 5673
Course Fee: AUD $275.00 (incl. GST)
Discounted Fee: AUD $137.50 (incl. GST) (Student/Doctor in Training/Nurse/Trainee Discounted Fee. Relevant documents must be uploaded.)
Combined Course Offer: AUD $650.00 (incl. GST) (We are currently providing a discounted price for healthcare practitioners who wish to enrol into both What's New in Diabetes and Diabetes Advanced.)
Discounted Combined Course Offer: AUD $375.00 (incl. GST) (Student/Doctor in Training/Nurse/Trainee Discounted Fee. Relevant documents must be uploaded.)
There are no set entry requirements for this course. However, it is recommend you complete the standard course, What's New in Diabetes, first.