How To Do Online Learning
Online learning is rapidly increasing, and if done well can enhance teaching and learning for our students. Online learning also forms the basis of blended learning and the flipped classroom approach.
The aim of this course is to show academics how online learning is delivered, so that they can understand the processes involved, the pedagogy, the business case and how to produce, publish and support an online course.
Academics wanting to create an online learning course.
- Understand the history of online learning development
- Differentiate between “high touch” versus “light touch” online learning
- Determine the difference between quality versus scale
- Understand the process of eLearning development – including content production, delivery and support
- Demonstrate an understanding of the business of online learning
- Discover future directions
- Tutorial 1: Introduction to construct and delivery of online and mobile learning
- Tutorial 2: Learning design principles
- Tutorial 3: Low touch online learning pedagogy
- Tutorial 4: High touch online learning pedagogy
- Tutorial 5: Course evaluation in online learning
- Tutorial 6: Understanding the business of online learning
- Tutorial 7: Working with a course development and delivery service (MLU)
- Tutorial 8: Working with a course development and delivery service (MSPACE)
- Tutorial 9: Creating a course - trouble shooting
Knowledge and Skills
- Develop an understanding of how online courses are developed and the processes involved
- Learn about the basic principles around learning design
- Learn both low and high touch design pedagogy
- How course evaluation is applied
- Develop an understanding of the principles of sustainability and costs to run an online course
- Learn about how the Mobile Learning Unit produces online courses
- Learn about how MSPACE produces online courses
The assessment is submission of the 9-tutorial self-assessments and 10 case studies to reinforce learning. A certificate is provided upon satisfactory completion of the course.
Course completion requires approximately 10 hours of online learning. This course is delivered online and students can study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed using a web browser.
Academic Director of Custom and Professional Education (Health), MDHS, The University of Melbourne
- Betina Przybylak, Professional Education Coordinator, School of Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne
- Rachel Enders BBiomed, MMgmt (Mktg), Project Manager, (Academic Programs)
- Dr David Kok BMedSci, MBBS, MEd, FRANZCR
- Dr Edmond Kwan MBBS, FRACP
- Dr Sathana Dushyanthen BSc, MbioMedSc, PhD
- Edwina Coller, Business Manager, Mobile Learning Unit
Please complete the form from one of the options below
T: +61 3 8344 5673
MDHS Employees or honorary staff: AUD $0 (incl. GST) Find enrolment link at the bottom of the page
University of Melbourne Staff (Non MDHS): AUD $275 (incl. GST) Find enrolment link at the bottom of the page
Non-University of Melbourne Learners: AUD $550 (incl. GST) Click on the Enrol Now button
There are no set entry requirements for this course.