Bachelor of Fine Arts (Animation)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the interview requirements below.
2024 Start Year Intake
Interview dates to be announced in August 2023
Shortlisted applicants will be expected to:
- Present recent examples of creative work. This may include previous animation work and/or other creative artwork that best demonstrates your ideas and interests.
- Be prepared to discuss in detail two original film or television ideas that may be developed during your time at VCA.
The interview will run for approximately 30 minutes and will be conducted online via Zoom Web Conferencing.
How will I be assessed?
In order to be invited for an interview, all applicants must submit a selection test response.
The selection test comprises of two components:
- VISUAL SEQUENCE
The Visual Sequence will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Ability to tell a complete visual story in sequence
- A high level of visual art skills
- Demonstrate basic design skills, e.g. colour, layout
- Have a unique artistic style
- SHORT STORY
The Short Story will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Demonstrate the ability to write a unique and entertaining short story
- Explore original themes and ideas
- Able to structure a complete short story
- A good level of English writing skills including correct grammar and sentence structure.
In the interview, shortlisted students will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Visual Art Skills
- Some previous animation experience
- An understanding of animation processes and techniques
- An art folio demonstrating a range of skills including drawing, sculpting, design
- Able to articulate the concepts behind their previous work
- Has developed a unique artistic style or explored a range of artistic styles
- An openness to experiment in other styles
- Previous studies in visual art (e.g. Visual Communication or Studio Arts)
- Able to critically reflect on their previous work and identify areas of improvement
- Able to clearly present unique and innovative ideas and themes that they are interested in exploring as an animation.
- Able to articulate 3 – 4 short story ideas that could be turned into an animation
- Career aspirations
- Interested in a future career in animation
- Have demonstrated some research in the industry
- Film making knowledge
- An understanding of film theory and practice
- Is able to list a range of short animated films or directors
Conditions of Enrolment
Successful applicants must meet the following conditions before commencing the course:
First Aid Certification
Obtain a First Aid (HLTAID003) certificate that will remain valid for the duration of your course.
Terms and Conditions
As part of your supplementary application submission, you will be required to read and accept the Terms and Conditions on which the offer of a place is made.