Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dance)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the audition requirements below.
2022 Start Year Intake
All applicants must submit a recorded audition via the supplementary application form by Sunday 17 October.
Short-listed applicants will be invited to attend a group workshop & interview online via Zoom.
The group workshop & interview will be held on Saturday 30 October and Saturday 6 November.
Unfortunately due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions there will be no live auditions at the Southbank campus this year.
Recorded Audition requirements
All applicants must submit a recorded audition portfolio. We highly recommend you have prior training in contemporary dance and other dance techniques including those of non-Western lineages.
The video audition involves submitting four short video files:
- Short introduction talking to the camera
- Demonstration of classwork and technique
- Set movement phrase
- One minute solo
Detailed video audition guidelines will be available to applicants in the supplementary application form.
Preparing and Recording Your Audition
- Perform in a safe environment, and use the space you have available to you: ideally on a smooth floor in a volume of space with no obstacles. It is understandable that not all applicants may not have access to a large dance space during these times.
- It is not an expectation that you access or purchase additional recording equipment beyond a basic smartphone, iPad, or laptop/desktop device. For smartphones, many recent models already have very good microphones built-in.
- Make sure you are well lit and can be seen clearly; you may wish to ask a friend or relative to video you or use a tripod or video stand.
- Please keep your head and feet in the video at all times.
- Do not use filters or effects, please keep editing to a minimum.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- Evidence of advanced skills in physical thinking
- Embodied literacy in diverse styles and approaches to dance practice and performance
- Kinaesthetic awareness of self
- Ability to contribute to the creative process
- Creative autonomy and agency.
Group Workshop & Interview
In the callback workshop and interview, short-listed applicants will be assessed on:
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Responses to tasks in a group setting
- Capacity to move with spatial awareness and sensitivity to others
- Interest and motivation for undertaking the course
- Ability to articulate dance goals and have insight into how to achieve these
- Understanding of dance as an art form and its significance and potential in the cultural and arts field and in relation to other arts.