Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dance)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the audition requirements below.
2023 Start Year Intake
All applicants will be required to submit a recorded audition via the supplementary application form by Monday 10 October 2022.
Shortlisted applicants will also be required to attend a group workshop and interview callback audition.
Callbacks will be conducted at the Southbank campus and additionally online via Zoom Web Conferencing, for those unable to attend in person.
Callbacks will be held Saturday 29, Sunday 30 October, and Saturday 5 November 2022.
Please note, applicants will not be advantaged, nor disadvantaged, in selection by attending either an in-person or an online callback audition
All applicants must submit a recorded audition portfolio. We highly recommend you have prior training in contemporary dance and other dance techniques including those of non-Western lineages.
The video audition involves submitting four short video files:
- Short introduction talking to the camera
- Demonstration of classwork and technique
- Set movement phrase
- One minute solo
Detailed video audition guidelines will be available to applicants in the supplementary application form.
Preparing and Recording Your Audition
- Perform in a safe environment, and use the space you have available to you: ideally on a smooth floor in a volume of space with no obstacles. It is understandable that not all applicants may not have access to a large dance space during these times.
- It is not an expectation that you access or purchase additional recording equipment beyond a basic smartphone, iPad, or laptop/desktop device. For smartphones, many recent models already have very good microphones built-in.
- Make sure you are well lit and can be seen clearly; you may wish to ask a friend or relative to record you or use a tripod or video stand.
- Please keep your head and feet in the video at all times.
- Do not use filters or effects, please keep editing to a minimum.
Shortlisted applicants from the recorded audition submissions will be invited to attend a callback audition. Callbacks will be conducted at the Southbank campus and additionally online via Zoom Web Conferencing, for those unable to attend in person.
Please note, Applicants will not be advantaged, nor disadvantaged, in selection by attending either an in-person or an online callback audition.
Further information will be given to each candidate invited to a callback audition.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- Evidence of advanced skills in physical thinking
- Embodied literacy in diverse styles and approaches to dance practice and performance
- Kinaesthetic awareness of self
- Ability to contribute to the creative process
- Creative autonomy and agency.
Group Workshop & Interview
In the callback workshop and interview, shortlisted applicants will be assessed on:
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Responses to tasks in a group setting
- Capacity to move with spatial awareness and sensitivity to others
- Interest and motivation for undertaking the course
- Ability to articulate dance goals and have insight into how to achieve these
- Understanding of dance as an art form and its significance and potential in the cultural and arts field and in relation to other arts.