Master of Contemporary Art
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the interview requirements below.
2023 Start Year Intake
Interviews will take place Monday 7 to Thursday 10 November 2022.
Applicants will be required to attend an online interview via Zoom Web Conferencing to discuss their application and portfolio.
The interview will run for approximately 20 minutes.
At your interview, you may be asked about your:
- Motivation for undertaking the course; and
- Knowledge of, and engagement with contemporary art; and
- Involvement with arts industries and communities; and
- Use of materials in recent work; and
- Ambitions for developing new work during the course; and
- Academic achievements, professional experience, and examples of collaborative arts activities.
Please note if you have also applied for the Master of Fine Arts (Visual Art) you will be interviewed for both at the same interview. You must submit a separate application for both courses.
How will I be assessed?
Your written proposal will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the conceptual framework for the proposed study
- Achievability of coursework and research aims and objectives
- Understanding of how their visual art practice is connected to contemporary art practice and theory
Your portfolio will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Alignment of work to the written proposal
- Level of technical and conceptual ability in the production of artworks
- Experience in exhibitions and industry recognition
- Self-criticality and self-awareness
In the interview, shortlisted applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Motivation for undertaking the course
- Depth and quality of knowledge of, and engagement with contemporary art
- Involvement with arts industries and communities
- Articulation of their own practice and aspiration
- Ability to communicate technical and creative ideas
- Knowledge about own practice, its context, and histories
Please note that all applicants will be ranked based on the above criteria, up to the capacity of places within the course.