Master of Music (Opera Performance)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the audition requirements below.
2022 Start Year Intake
Interviews will take place on Friday 19 November 2021.
Applicants must prepare their recorded audition as per the requirements for singers or repetiteurs.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of 5 works, including three arias and two songs.
- One of the arias must be in Italian and one of the songs must be in English
- Recordings must be of the full aria and song and can be up to 25 minutes in length.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of one solo piano piece or movement of a work (own choice) and the following operatic excerpts:
- Mozart - 2 passages from Don Giovanni Act 2 Finale (No. 24)1. "Gia la mensa preparata" - "Piatto! Servo!"2. "Da qual tremore insolito" - "Ah! dov'è il perfido?""
- Bizet - Carmen, Act 2 Finale (No. 18). Schirmer, pages 213 - 236
The candidate should play and to sing any of the vocal lines in Italian (Mozart) and French (Bizet) while playing the score. The audition panel would like to hear a full selection of the prepared repertoire.
Repetiteur candidates are advised to email the program coordinator, Professor Jane Davidson email@example.com, so that specific recommendations can be made on the preparation of these materials.
- Each aria, song or piano piece must be recorded in one take. The constituent items of the audition submission can be recorded on separate occasions, but the individual pieces within the submission need to be recorded in an unedited video format.
- Ensure that the video you submit is not private or password-protected.
- If your video file exceeds 250MB, you must upload it to a video platform such as YouTube or Vimeo and submit the URL link.
- Recordings must be made no earlier than 6 months prior to the application deadline.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend a 20 minute interview which will be conducted online via Zoom Web Conferencing. Shortlisted applicants will be notified via email on how to book a time for their interview after applications close.