Master of Music (Opera Performance)
Interviews will be held in Melbourne: Thursday 19 September and Friday 20 September.
Undertaking a 20-minute audition is a requirement for all applicants. A brief interview will be incorporated into the audition process and held at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music in Southbank Melbourne.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of 5 works, including three arias and two songs.
- One of the arias must be in Italian and one of the songs must be in English.
- The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire.
- An accompanist will be provided – applicants do not need to bring their own accompanist.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of one solo piano piece or movement of a work (own choice) and the following operatic excerpts:
- Don Giovanni Act 2 Finale (No.24) “Gia la Mensa...” to the end of the opera.
- Carmen Act 2 Finale (No.18) “Hola! Carmen...” to the end of Act 2.
The candidate should be prepared to be conducted as they play and to sing any of the vocal lines in Italian (Mozart) and French (Bizet) while playing the score. The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire.
Can't attend the audition?
Applicants have the option to submit a recorded audition although live auditions are encouraged and preferred. There may be the option of an additional audition in December to be confirmed later in the year.
- Recordings must be made in one take, must be unedited and submitted in electronic format via the Audition Application Form in SlideRoom.
- Recorded auditions must be submitted no later than the first live audition date. You must indicate by the application close date if you are attending live or need to upload a recording via the SlideRoom form. You will be emailed about this process separately after the application close date.
- Recordings once submitted are the property of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.
If you would like to transfer to another Faculty of Fine Arts and Music course, you need to re-apply and ensure you meet that course’s entry requirements in order to be selected.
You can find these requirements on every course page.