Master of Music (Opera Performance)
- CRICOS Code: 076225K
How to apply
2019 Start Year intake Auditions
A 20-minute audition is required for all applicants. A brief interview will be incorporated into the audition process and held at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music in Southbank Melbourne.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of 5 works, including three arias and two songs.
- One of the arias must be in Italian and one of the songs must be in English
- The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire
- An accompanist will be provided – applicants do not need to bring their own accompanist
Applicants should prepare an audition program of one solo piano piece or movement of a work (own choice) and the following operatic excerpts:
- Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro, Act 2 Finale (No. 16). Bärenreiter, pages 199 - 308 (in Italian)
- Puccini - La Bohème, opening to “Non sono in vena”. Schirmer, pages 1 - 58 (in Italian)
The candidate should be prepared to be conducted as they play and to sing any of the vocal lines in Italian while playing the score. The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire.
Can't Attend the Audition? Recorded Auditions
Applicants have the option to submit a recorded audition although live auditions are encouraged and preferred. There may be the option of an additional audition December 2018 to be confirmed.
- Recordings must be made in one take, must be unedited and submitted in electronic format via the Supplementary Application Form in SlideRoom.
- Recorded auditions must be submitted no later than the first live audition date. You must indicate by 30 September 2018 if you are attending live or need to upload a recording via the SlideRoom form. You will be emailed about this separately after the application close date.
- Recordings once submitted are the property of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
You’ve chosen your degree and worked out when you want to start studying. Now all you need to do is apply.
Before you apply
- Check the degree website.
- Check the entry requirements and make sure you're eligible.
- Ensure you meet the University’s English language requirements.
- If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, you may like to contact our Faculty’s Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development before proceeding. They can assist you with your application and provide you with additional information about your study options.
- Complete the online application form.
- Gather supporting documents and upload via our Supplementary Application Form.
- Prepare for your audition.