Master of Music (Opera Performance)
- CRICOS Code: 076225K
How to apply
2020 Semester 1 intake - main assessment round (for domestic and international applicants)
Applications are closed.
How do I apply?
You’ve chosen your degree and worked out when you want to start studying. Now all you need to do is apply!
Applicants must submit items 1 and 2 by the application closing date and will be notified about item 3:
- Submit a direct application via the University's application portal using MC-MUSOP as the course code.
- Upload a performance CV, and details of two referees via SlideRoom
- If shortlisted, attend an audition held at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music in Southbank Melbourne on Thursday 19 September, Friday 20 September or Friday 4 October 2019. If unable to attend in person then a video audition is permissible and an on-line interview can be arranged. See below for more.
Applicants must prepare their audition as per the requirements for Singers or Repetiteurs below. After applications close shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a live audition, but are available on-line also. You can indicate your preference via SlideRoom. A brief interview will be incorporated into the audition process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of 5 works, including three arias and two songs.
- One of the arias must be in Italian and one of the songs must be in English
- The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire
- An accompanist will be provided – applicants do not need to bring their own accompanist
Applicants should prepare an audition program of one solo piano piece or movement of a work (own choice) and the following operatic excerpts:
- Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro, Act 2 Finale (No. 16). Bärenreiter, pages 199 - 308 (in Italian)
- Puccini - La Bohème, opening to “Non sono in vena”. Schirmer, pages 1 - 58 (in Italian)
During the auditions, the candidate should be prepared to be conducted as they play and to sing any of the vocal lines in Italian while playing the score. The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire during the live audition.
In addition to your University application fee, applicants will be charged a non-refundable processing fee payable via SlideRoom.
Can't Attend the Audition?
Applicants have the option of having an on-line audition and upload of a recording if invited to do so, although live auditions are encouraged and preferred.
- Recorded auditions must be submitted by the application close date in the first instance. You must indicate if you are attending a live audition or would like to upload a recording via the SlideRoom form. You will be emailed about this separately after the application close date.
- All recordings must be made in one take, must be unedited and submitted in electronic format via the Supplementary Application Form in SlideRoom.
- Recordings once submitted are the property of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
You’ve chosen your degree and worked out when you want to start studying. Now all you need to do is apply.
Before you apply
- Check the degree website.
- Check the entry requirements and make sure you're eligible.
- Ensure you meet the University’s English language requirements.
- If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, you may like to contact our Faculty’s Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development before proceeding. They can assist you with your application and provide you with additional information about your study options.
- Complete the online application form using course code MC-MUSOP.
- Gather supporting documents and upload via our Supplementary Application Form.
- Prepare for your audition.