Your online application
There are a few things you'll need to keep in mind when your apply with Melbourne.
When you apply
Before you apply online ensure you meet degree entry requirements.
You can find entry requirements and subject prerequisites on each degree page.
You'll need to provide scans, certified copies* or original copies of your academic results, and proof of English proficiency. Check the entry requirements for the course you are applying for to see if you are required to provide other documents such as personal statements, portfolios or results from aptitude tests.
If you choose to provide scans or uncertified copies of academic results, we may verify your results with the issuing institution. You may be required to present original documents to the University at any time during the application process or while you are enrolled at the University. If the documents on which an offer was based are found at any time to be incomplete or fraudulent, you will face serious penalties, including your enrolment in the course being withdrawn.
If you are an international student applying through one of our approved agents, certified academic results submitted by your agent will be accepted.
* A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document, which contains the signature and official stamp of an authorised signatory.
When obtaining a certified photocopy, please ensure the following:
- The signature of the person certifying is original
- The person clarifying the document must state their title
- There is a statement to say that it is a true copy of the original document
- The certification is dated
- If it is a multi-page document, either each page must be certified or the certification must state the number of pages and each page must be signed by the authority
Common titles of signatories that we accept are:
- University of Melbourne approved Overseas Representative
- Justice of the peace
- Member of the Police Force
- Legally qualified medical practitioner
- Manager of a Bank, Building Society or Credit Union
- Marriage Celebrant (civil or religious)
- Barrister or solicitor or a clerk to a barrister or solicitor.
Don't have your final results yet?
You are welcome to apply by providing a certified copy of your most recent academic results. You may be made an offer conditional upon completing your studies and achieving the required grades.
The first step in applying is registering as an applicant.
If you apply for multiple courses you'll only need to complete this section once. You'll be asked to supply your personal details and at the end you will be emailed with temporary log in details. If you have studied previously at the University of Melbourne or have previously applied but not enrolled you will not need to do this step as you will already have a login and password.
Once you have received your temporary log in details you can log in to the system and begin applying for courses. You should check Find a course first to decide which course(s) you want to apply for.
Once you have completed all of the application requirements you can submit the application. This step includes agreeing to the application declaration. Until you have done this your application will not be considered complete.
Please note: Most communication regarding your application will be by email and these system-generated emails can sometimes be directed automatically to the ‘junk’ folder of your email. If you do not seem to be receiving emails about your application please check your junk folder.
International students (except for Graduate Research applications) must pay an application fee of AUD $100. This must be paid online by credit card at the end of the online application process.
Please note that the application fee is non-refundable.
Am I eligible for an application fee waiver?
You may be eligible for waiver of the application fee if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You are in receipt of a scholarship: proof of sponsorship letter must be provided with your application
- You have been given a waiver form by a university staff member at an exhibition or interview session
- You are a current University of Melbourne student
- You are a current Trinity College Foundation Studies student
- You are applying for courses offered by the Graduate School of Business and Economics and you provide your GMAT or GRE results with your application or, you are applying for the Melbourne JD (Juris Doctor) program.
The online application will provide further information about the waiver process.
Once your application is successfully submitted, you will have received two emails from the University:
- The first email is sent after you save your personal details in the application system. This email contains the temporary credentials you require to be able to log in and view/amend your application prior to submission.
- The second email is sent after you have paid your application fee (if required), agreed to the terms and conditions on the Confirmation page and pressed the 'Confirm' button. The email will confirm successful submission of your application, summarise your application and provide you with details of where additional application documentation can be submitted.
If all supporting documents are submitted, turn-around times for being made an offer are:
- 2-4 weeks for undergraduate applications
- 4 - 6 weeks for graduate coursework applications
- 12 weeks for graduate research applications
Courses such as the Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Optometry and Doctor of Physiotherapy are assessed in competitive rounds- please check the relevant faculty website for specific timelines.
If you experience technical difficulties with the online application, please see Application help.