Master of Music (Orchestral Performance)
Important! Please make sure you have read the How to Apply information for this course prior to reading the audition requirements below.
2024 Start Year Intake
Audition dates to be announced in August 2023
Applicants should prepare:
- a 20-minute audition using prescribed repertoire for their instrument including:
- orchestral excerpts; and
- a movement of a standard concerto (or equivalent)
Prescribed audition repertoire:
Please ensure that:
- You and your instrument are clearly visible in the video.
- Solo work is recorded in one single unedited take with piano accompaniment, it may be recorded separately to the excerpts.
- All excerpts are recorded in one single take; recording must be unedited.
- Excerpts must be performed in the order listed.
- You upload a queue sheet identifying the order and time each excerpt begins in your recording.
Applicants should prepare to:
- sight-read a set excerpt (30 to 60 seconds); and
- discuss intentions and goals in undertaking the course; and
- professional and/or academic history in relation to the field; and
- demonstrate an understanding of instrumental performance as a multifaceted artform
How will I be assessed?
Your portfolio will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- relevant experience and knowledge
- communication skills
Your audition will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- excellence in performance on your instrument
In the interview, shortlisted applicants will be assessed against the following criteria by the selection panel:
- accuracy of sight reading
- clarity of communication and presentation
- artistic curiosity and engagement with the field
- demonstrated potential to work constructively and collegially in a professional orchestral setting
- reflections on own practice, its context and histories.