Other ways to satisfy English language requirements
There are additional English tests and programs you can do to help you meet entry requirements. English language requirements differ by course, you must check the minimum accepted requirements before you apply.
English language tests
To meet the University's English language requirements you can use the following tests with the minimum scores for many of our degrees listed, some degrees have varied minimum requirements which you need to check before applying. If your offer is conditional on meeting English language requirements, you need to satisfy the requirements of one of these tests, in one sitting, and no more than two years before the start of your course.
- TOEFL – you need a score from a minimum of 577+ including a score of at least 4.5 in the Test of Written English for a paper-based test. Or a score of at least 79 and scores of at least 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 13 for listening for an internet-based test.
- IELTS – you need a score from a minimum of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
- Pearson Test of English – you need an overall score from a minimum between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
- Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) – you need a Cambridge English Score from a minimum 176 with no skill below 169.
Please note: we do not accept the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test.
Submitting your scores
To submit your scores when you apply, use our TOEFL Institution Code is 0974. They need to be original test reports and achieved from a single test report. They cannot be certified copies or examiner’s result records.
If your English score is in the 25-29 range (or a VCE ESL study score in the 30-34 range) you’ll be required to take a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) on enrolment and follow recommendations for language support.
Foundation studies at Trinity College for undergraduate entry
Foundation studies at Trinity College is a preparatory program that qualifies international students for entry to the University of Melbourne undergraduate degrees.
By studying at Trinity College, you'll get:
- a guaranteed place in an undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne if you achieve the required scores
- a curriculum that is supervised by the University of Melbourne’s Academic Board
- university-style teaching and learning through lectures and small tutorials
- accelerated and extended programs to suit your needs
- an extensive support and welfare program
- an ideal location on the Parkville campus of the University, and use of the University’s facilities.
English language bridging program
Hawthorn Melbourne offers a range of programs to help international students meet the University’s English language requirements.
English language bridging programs
Hawthorn-Melbourne, one of Australia’s oldest and largest English language centres, is endorsed by the University of Melbourne as the sole external provider of the University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program (UMELBP).
UMELBP provides a direct English language pathway to most courses at the University of Melbourne for international students. To check whether the course you’re interested in accepts the UMELBP as an entry point, and for full details regarding entry requirements, visit Hawthorn English.
Please note that UMELBP is not available for domestic students.
Academic English language programs
Hawthorn-Melbourne also offers academic English language programs including:
- IELTS Preparation Program
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Intensive Academic Preparation (IAP) Program.
- Packaged offers for visa applications
Packaged offers reduce the time and costs involved in applying for visas. They're available if you have an offer from the University that is conditional only on meeting the English language requirements.
This packaged offer enables you to obtain a single visa, if you do an English language course at Hawthorn-Melbourne followed by a University of Melbourne course.
The packaged offer requires you to complete a 10 or 20-week course at Hawthorn-Melbourne (depending on your IELTS score) before commencing your undergraduate degree.
You're eligible for a packaged offer if you:
- Apply through an authorised University overseas representative
- Have an offer for a place at the University of Melbourne that is conditional only on satisfying the University’s English language requirements
- Have achieved an IELTS score of 5.5 with no band less than 5.0 and enrol in a 20-week English course at Hawthorn-Melbourne, or have achieved an IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 and enrol in a 10-week English course at Hawthorn-Melbourne.