Entry requirements

Graduate coursework study

See if you're eligible to apply for a graduate coursework degree for international students. Each graduate course has entry requirements, subject prerequisites, fees and scholarships attached to it, you'll need to understand before applying. Some also offer pathways from a Masters degree into a Doctorate specialisation.

Minimum eligibility

You’re considered an international student based on your citizenship – even if you're studying in Australia.


You must have completed an undergraduate degree (or equivalent) from a recognised institution. Most Masters degrees also require a minimum WAM (Weighted Average Mark)based on your previous studies for entry. You can use our graduate coursework grade conversion eligibility calculator to get an indication of whether you’re eligible for a specific Masters degree.

Depending on your previous studies and experience you could also be eligible for credit towards your studies at the University.

Find Masters by coursework degrees


If you go on to a doctorate, you need to have completed an Honours and Masters degree in the relevant discipline. Additional qualifications and work experience is also taken into consideration.

Go to Graduate research study for more information

To find out about assessment and our admissions criteria, see How you're selected.

Visa requirements

With an Australian student visa, you can only take full-time study in a CRICOS-registered course. You also need to have met character and any additional health tests, as well as have acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

See Visa information – study in Australia

Course-specific requirements

Graduate coursework degrees may have specific interviews, portfolios and supplementary tests you need to do before you can be accepted into a degree.

To find out about specific requirements, review the entry and application information for the course you're interested in to find out what these are.

English language requirements

If you've completed an undergraduate degree in the last two years, where the degree was entirely taught and assessed in English, typically you'll satisfy English language requirements.

If your offer is conditional on meeting the University's English language requirements you can use TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson Test of English (academic tests) or Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) to meet the University's English language requirements.

You'll need to satisfy the requirements in one sitting within 24 months of the proposed start date of your degree. There are special conditions that apply if you have already done post-graduate studies when applying.

See the full English language requirements for graduate students.

Apply for graduate coursework degrees

Ready to apply for a Melbourne graduate coursework degree? Find out how to prepare your application and apply online.

Read more