Entry requirements

Graduate research

Find out if you're eligible to apply for graduate research courses. Each course has entry requirements and English language requirements. While most successful applicants are offered living stipends and tuition fee remission scholarships, there you'll need to be aware of the potential fees before you apply.

Minimum eligibility

You’re considered an international student based on your citizenship – even if you're studying in Australia.

To be eligible to apply for graduate research courses, you're normally required to have completed at least a four year Australian Bachelor course or overseas equivalent and achieved an overall average of greater than 75% in the final year of the course.

You're also normally required to have completed a research project/component that accounts for at least 25% of your year's work at 4th year undergraduate or masters level.

Some courses may have higher or additional entry requirements and a pre-application process. Check the course you're interested in to learn what these are.

Visa requirements

If you have a student visa to study in Australia you're legally required to enrol in full-time study in a CRICOS-registered course. You will need to maintain visa length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and can either arrange this through the University when you accept your offer or purchase your own OSHC from one of the providers approved by the Australian Government. You may also need to do additional character and health tests where required by the Department of Home Affairs.

For more information on student visas, see Department of Home Affairs

Course-specific requirements

Requirements vary by course. Usually, to apply for a graduate research course, you first need to determine your research topic and find a supervisor. Some graduate schools advertise available projects. Visit Find a Course for the requirements of the course that interests you. You will need to be able to commit to the workload required by the course.

Finding a supervisor

Check with the course you're applying for to see if you need to find a supervisor for your course before applying.

If so, you want to make sure the supervisors you choose are right for your needs and can support you in your research. Support from supervisors does not guarantee admission, nor does it guarantee a scholarship or financial assistance.

For help finding a supervisor, visit Find an expert

Writing a research proposal

Some graduate schools also require a research proposal as part of your application.

To develop a successful proposal, you need to be familiar with current research in the area. Your proposal also needs to state your research question, your area of interest, and how you'll undertake your research.

Many graduate schools offering research courses will have their own pre-application process, entry requirements and application due dates. Check the entry requirements for the course you're applying for.

English language requirements

If you've completed an undergraduate course in the last two years, where the course was entirely taught and assessed in English, typically you'll satisfy English language requirements.

If your offer is conditional on meeting the University's English language requirements you can use TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson Test of English (academic tests) or Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) to meet the University's English language requirements.

You'll need to satisfy the requirements in one sitting within 24 months of the proposed start date of your course.

See English language requirements for graduate students

Apply for graduate research courses

Ready to apply for a Melbourne graduate research course? Find out how to prepare your application and apply online.

Find out more

Visit our Research website

Here you'll find information on research support, applications, funding opportunities, industry connections and more, check out our University of Melbourne research website.

Go to Research website