At the University of Melbourne, we’re committed to helping students pay for their education. Here are a few ways you can reduce the cost of your tuition and finance your postgraduate study.

Financing your degree: Fees and scholarships explained

In this information session, the Future Students Team discuss how to finance your degree, including fees and scholarships available for postgraduate students.

Commonwealth Supported Places

A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is where the cost of your tuition is subsidised by the Commonwealth Government. If you enrol in a course that offers CSPs, you can pay the remaining amount up-front or in a deferred loan arrangement through the Higher Education Loan program (HELP).

CSPs are available to eligible Australian and New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents and holders of permanent Humanitarian Visas in selected graduate coursework courses.


Available to domestic students, HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP loans allow you to defer paying tuition costs by paying the fees upfront to the university. A HELP loan debt is created with the Australian Taxation Office, and you pay your loan when your employment income reaches the compulsory repayment threshold.

HECS-HELP is for students enrolled in a CSP course. FEE-HELP is for full-fee paying students.


Each year we award a range of scholarships and student support programs to current and commencing students. Whether you’re a domestic or international student, we offer a great range of scholarships that you may be eligible for.

Find the right scholarship for you.

Graduate Access Melbourne

If you are applying for a graduate degree and have experienced or are experiencing disadvantage you may be eligible for Graduate Access Melbourne. Your circumstances that are raised as part of your application are taken into account for a Commonwealth Supported Place. You are also considered for a Melbourne Graduate Access Bursary of $5,000.

Apply for credit

If you have prior study or work experience in the discipline you’re studying, you can apply for advanced standing (also known as recognition of prior learning or credit). If advanced standing is awarded, you will complete fewer units of study. This means the length of your degree is reduced as well as the cost of your tuition fees.

Apply for advanced standing.

Professional development

If you’re pursuing postgraduate study to improve your skills and knowledge in your current career, your employer may offer to pay some or all your tuition costs.

You may also be able to claim self-education expenses in your tax return. Discover your eligibility through the Australian Taxation Office.

Student loans

If you’re experiencing financial difficulty and need support with study related expenses, you may be eligible for a student loan. We offer both short-term and long-term loans to support students dealing with cash flow problems and unexpected study-related expenses.

To get financial assistance and access our interest-free loans, you must book an appointment with a Financial Aid Adviser.

Book an appointment

International loans

If you’re an international student, you may be eligible for a loan or grant to support with living and education costs. This financial assistance is typically provided through government and private programs in your home country.

Explore international loans.