Doctor of Philosophy - Science
- CRICOS Code: 056958E
Fees & scholarships
Your fees explained
Research Training Program (RTP) Fee Offset Scholarship
The University of Melbourne offers a range of scholarship for students undertaking graduate research training. These scholarships are funded by the University, philanthropic gifts or Government grants.
All domestic students who are admitted to a Master by research or Doctoral degree at the University of Melbourne will receive a Research Training Program Fee Offset Scholarship to acknowledge the contribution from the Australian Government towards the cost of their tuition.
Other scholarships may provide a stipend towards the cost of living and a relocation allowance. International students may also receive Overseas Student Health Cover and a tuition fee offset.
Learn more about the RTP Fee Offset Scholarship and Graduate Research Scholarships
Other Financial Assistance
The University's Student Financial Aid Service can provide you with advice and information on student loans and bursaries/grants, cost of living, budgeting and tax advice.
Graduate Research Scholarships
The Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship and the Melbourne Research Scholarship (MRS) are the principal graduate research scholarships offered by the Faculty of Science. Both scholarships provide a stipend and a full fee offset. You will be automatically considered for these scholarships when you apply for the course. More about Graduate Research Scholarships
You will be automatically considered for these prestigious scholarships:
- Elizabeth and Vernon Puzey Scholarships: provide an additional $10,000 per year pro-rata (2020 full-time rate) offered concurrently with an MRS or RTP scholarship.
- Rowden White Scholarships: provides an additional $6,500 to a concurrently held MRS or RTP scholarship.
The following scholarships are only available to domestic students. You must check the eligibility requirements and submit separate applications for each scholarship (in addition to your course application).
- The Fay Marles Scholarship is for applicants of Australian Indigenous descent or those experiencing compassionate or compelling circumstances.
- Sir John and Lady Higgins Research Scholarship is for applicants undertaking research in the fields of chemistry and biochemistry relating to the pastoral and agricultural industries.
- Ernst and Grace Matthaei Scholarship for applicants undertaking research in the field of optics.