Master of Genetic Counselling
- CRICOS Code: 061969D
- 2 years full time / 4 years part time
- Parkville campus located in the heart of Melbourne city
- Available to domestic students
- Start Year Intake - February
In Australasia, genetic counsellors are allied health professionals who work in partnership with clinical geneticists or other medical specialists, often as part of a multidisciplinary team that may include other allied health professionals and/or scientists.
Genetic counselling is a communication process that aims to help individuals, couples and families understand and adapt to the implications of a genetic contribution to a health condition.
The role of a genetic counsellor includes
- provision of risk information to individuals/families,
- education about a genetic condition to individuals/families/health professionals
- counselling to individuals/families to promote informed health care decision making
- psychosocial support to individuals/families who have a history of a genetic condition
The Master of Genetic Counselling is a professionally accredited coursework degree, completed full time over two years.
Learn from leading industry experts
Teaching staff are primarily practicing genetic counsellors, scientists and clinicians within the field of clinical genetics health care and research. Community support groups and individuals/families with personal/family experience of genetics also provide expertise to the teaching and placements in the course.
Graduating with a Master of Genetic Counselling meets the requirements for entry level professional employment as an associate genetic counsellor, and for Board Eligible certification, awarded through the Board of Censors in Genetic Counselling (Human Genetics Society of Australasia). The attainment of Board Certification requires the submission of a portfolio of work, completed whilst employed as an associate genetic counsellor (www.hgsa.com.au).
With well-established links to overseas training programs there are international opportunities for students, through an active exchange program for clinical placements and research collaborations. Graduates of the Masters have the opportunity to undertake certification both in Australia and overseas in those countries with an established reciprocal training and certification agreement.