Master of Genetic Counselling

    • CRICOS Code: 061969D

    Your fees explained

    Want more information about fees and payments?

    Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)

    If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place for your graduate course, your tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government. You’ll still need to pay a student contribution amount. This fee is organised in bands based on the discipline area of the subjects that you take, not the course you are studying. The discipline fees are set each year by the Australian Government.

    You can pay your student contribution amount to the University when you enrol (upfront), or you can defer this cost through the Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program (HECS-HELP) if you’re eligible.


    HECS-HELP is the Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program. It enables you to borrow the amount of your student contribution and then pay that loan back once you are in the workforce and earning at a specified level. A HECS-HELP loan is not means tested. HECS-HELP is available to eligible Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders who are enrolled in a CSP.

    Australian Fee Places

    When you apply, you will automatically be considered for an Australian fee place if you meet course entry requirements. You’ll pay tuition fees for each year that you are enrolled, fees may be adjusted each year.

    Tuition fees are calculated according to your course and study load each semester. You can defer payment of your fees via the Australian Government’s FEE-HELP loan scheme if you are eligible. If your course is relevant to your current employment, you may be able to claim fees as a work-related tax deduction.


    FEE-HELP can cover all or part of your tuition fees. The Australian Government pays the amount of the loan direct to the University. It enables you to borrow the amount of your tuition fees and then pay that loan back once you are in the workforce and earning at a specified level or you can make voluntary repayments to the ATO at any time.

    FEE-HELP is not means tested and there is no loan fee for graduate study. If you already have a HECS-HELP loan from your undergraduate studies, you can still access a FEE-HELP loan. No interest is charged on your FEE-HELP loan, however, it is indexed each year with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) in line with the cost of living.

    The Government’s Study Assist website provides more information about Australian fee places, Commonwealth Supported Place and HELP Loans.

    Other financial assistance

    The University's Student Financial Aid Service can provide you with advice and information on student loans and bursaries/grants, cost of living, budgeting and tax advice.


    Find a scholarship that's right for you

    Master of Genetic Counselling Indigenous Practitioner Scholarship

    The 2020 Victorian Genetic Counselling Indigenous Practitioner Scholarship Program (the Scholarship) will support you to become a genetic health storyteller and help Victorian individuals, families and communities access the health benefits of this rapidly evolving science. The Scholarship will be tailored to each student and will include a suite of substantial financial and academic supports, to successfully complete the Master of Genetic Counselling program at the University of Melbourne and transition into professional practice. The Scholarship will include a living allowance, payment of course fees, academic support and mentoring, conference travel and other support to enter the Genetic Counselling profession. Additional support may also be available after graduation to complete the practice requirements for professional certification with the Human Genetics Society of Australasia.

    • Do I need a genetic science or counselling background?
      The Scholarship will support up to a year of additional preparatory study for students who need to obtain the relevant genetic science knowledge and counselling experience required to enter the graduate degree program.

    For all enquiries email

    To be eligible to apply for the Scholarship, you must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, have completed a Bachelor degree and intend to practice in Victoria for a minimum of three years following graduation.

    Scholarships may be awarded if the selection committee decides that an applicant is likely to succeed in the proposed course of study. The number of Scholarships and the amount awarded will be determined after reviewing the needs of all applicants.