Fees and payments

Graduate coursework study

Your fees will vary depending on the graduate coursework degree you choose and the type of enrolment or place you're offered as a domestic student. You may enter on an Australian fee place or Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). There's also a Student Services and Amenities Fee plus additional expenses you'll need to consider, including course materials, accommodation and living costs.

Tuition fees

Australian fee place

If you’re enrolling in an Australian fee place, tuition fees are calculated based on your course and study load per semester. The Office for Environmental Programs graduate course is one exception with subject-based fees.

It's also important you read and understand the University's current tuition fee terms and conditions before accepting your offer and enrolling in a degree.

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)

Commonwealth Supported Place tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government. You pay a student contribution amount determined each year by the Australian Government and the subjects you enrol in, not the overall course you're studying.

To calculate your fee contribution amounts, you'll need to know the credit points for each subject you're studying and the total number of credit points needed to complete the course.

To find out annual CSP student contribution amounts, see student contribution amounts

How will the Australian Government’s Job-ready Graduates Package affect my Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) fees?

In October 2020 the Higher Education Support Amendment (Job-Ready Graduates and Supporting Regional and Remote Students) Bill 2020 passed the Australian Parliament.

This means there will be changes to student contribution amounts for Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).

Students commencing a course of study for the first time

From 1 January 2021, all students who are commencing a course of study on a Commonwealth Supported Place will pay the new student contribution amounts.

Students continuing in a course of study on a CSP in 2021

The changes include ‘grandfathering arrangements’ for students continuing in a course of study that they commenced prior to 1 January 2021.

If you currently hold a Commonwealth Supported Place and are continuing in the same course of study (commenced prior to 1 January 2021), from 2021 your student contribution amount will either remain the same as it would have been prior to these changes or will be lower, depending on your area of study. This means:

  • If you are a continuing student studying subjects that will have a lower student contribution amount under the new arrangements you will pay the new lower student contribution amount.
  • If you are a continuing student studying subjects in disciplines with increased student contribution amounts, you will continue paying the same amount as you would have, had these changes not been implemented (with existing rates being indexed by CPI each year).

Students changing to a new course of study in 2021

If you are commencing a new course of study in 2021, you will pay the 2021 commencing student contribution amounts. This includes students who have completed an undergraduate degree in 2020 or earlier and are commencing a graduate course in 2021. It also includes students who are part way through a course but are changing to a different course in 2021, or students who are transferring from one institution to another.

There are a small number of exceptions to this, for example if you completed a course of study before 1 January 2021 and you go on to study a related honours course after that day, the grandfathering arrangements will apply to you.

More information

Australian Government Research Training Program places

If you decide to do a Graduate research degree, you may be eligible for a Australian Government Research Training Program places. These places are fully funded by the Australian Government via the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP).

For more information, go to Graduate research degrees - Fees and payments

More information

Student Services and Amenities Fee

You'll also need to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) that goes towards providing you with essential services and support when you study. The amount you're charged will depend on whether you're a full-time or part-time student.

If your study load is less than 75% of the normal full-time study load, you'll be charged as a part-time student. If this changes to a full-time load your SSAF charge will be recalculated.

See Student Services and Amenities Fee

Other expenses

You also need to factor in additional expenses associated with your course, including the cost of textbooks, equipment, technology, resources for special projects and excursions. There will also be additional costs living in Melbourne, including accommodation, food, weekly bills, transport, social activities and club memberships.

For help budgeting for study at Melbourne, see Financial aid


Tuition fees

Tuition fees are charged yearly and you pay tuition fees according to your specific enrolment in any given semester.

Commonwealth Supported Place

If you're on a Commonwealth Supported Place, you can pay your course fees upfront when you enrol or defer part or all payment through HECS-HELP, a government loan scheme that helps eligible students pay all or part of your student contribution amount.

Australian fee place

If you're enrolled as an Australian fee paying student, you can pay your course fees up front when you enrol or defer part or all payment through FEE-HELP, a loan scheme that helps eligible students pay all or part of your tuition fees.

Please note: The Higher Education Support Legislation Amendment (Student Loan Sustainability) Bill recently passed in parliament. This will result in a loan limit for HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP loans as well as lower income thresholds for loan repayments. To find out more, see Study Assist HECS-HELP

Learn more about HELP

SSAF fee

You can also pay your Student Services and Amenities Fee up front.

You can pay from your student account or if you're eligible you can defer payment of the SSAF by applying for SA-HELP assistance.

Find out about SA-HELP

Up-front payments

If you want to pay any fees up front, you can pay online or over the phone using BPAY®. To find out how, login to your student account, view your Statement of Liability and follow the instruction on how to pay.

See Students - Pay my fees

Unpaid fees and refunds

If your fees remain unpaid, your enrolment will be cancelled and you'll need to reapply for the course. You'll remain liable for any outstanding debt. There are some circumstances you may be able to request a refund.

To find out what these are, see Section 3: Refund Policy – terms and conditions

Also read our student loans, fees and charges policy

Funding your studies

There are financial loans, scholarships and bursaries that can help you pay your student fees and other living expenses.

Financial aid

To help with the cost of living while you study, you may be eligible for Australian Government financial aid, including Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy. To find out how these could help your situation, visit the DHS – Centrelink payments and services

Our financial services can also give you advice on scholarships, grants and how to budget for living and studying at Melbourne.

See Financial aid

Tax deduction on your fees

If your course is closely related to your current employment, you may be able to claim a tax deduction for the cost of your tuition fees.

To find out how to claim this, talk to your accountant or the Australian Taxation Office.

Scholarships and bursaries

We also offer a range scholarships and bursaries to help with tuition and living costs while you're at Melbourne.

Some scholarships cover part or all of your course fees. Others are one-off grants to help with the cost of living while you study. Faculties and Graduate Schools also offer a number of other scholarships and bursaries.

See Melbourne Scholarships

Read our 2021 tuition fees policy

It's important you read our 2021 tuition fees policy for domestic students. Once you enrol you'll be bound by our fees policies, terms and conditions.

Read now