Undergraduate English language requirements
At Melbourne, all undergraduate degrees are taught and assessed in English. When you apply for an undergraduate degree, you'll need to meet the University's English language requirement to be eligible for an offer to study with us.
You can meet the English language requirement in a number of ways, depending on your circumstances.
How can you meet our English language requirement?
There are many ways that you may meet our undergraduate English language requirement. Learn more about your options by clicking the links below.
An English proficiency test
You can satisfy the undergraduate English language requirement by completing one of the approved English language proficiency tests and achieving the required score.
Previous study in English
Approved secondary or tertiary study may meet our English language requirement.
Foundation study program
Are you an international student? A foundation program may provide a pathway to tertiary study at Melbourne. Foundation programs can help you meet the academic requirements to study with us including subject prerequisites for your chosen degree and our English language requirement.
Improve your academic English language and study skills to prepare for university study in Australia. A bridging program can help you to meet the English language requirements for your course.
An approved English language proficiency test
All approved English language proficiency tests must be completed in one sitting, within 24 months of when you plan to start studying with us. Your score needs to be achieved from a single test report. Examiner’s results are not acceptable. The University does not accept online/at home versions of any of the tests listed below. English language proficiency tests must be taken at a test centre.
Bachelor of Fine Arts/Bachelor of Music applicants: If you have satisfied all other requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts (all specialisations) or the Bachelor of Music but still need to satisfy the English prerequisite, it may be possible for you to satisfy the English requirement by completing an approved English test at the required standard. Research your English language test options below (noting that the Pearson Test of English is the test that is often preferred by applicants with English as their first language).
You must achieve the following scores to meet the English language requirement for all of our undergraduate degrees, except the Bachelor of Oral Health*:
- TOEFL Internet-based test: total score of at least 79 and scores of 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading and 13 for listening. To submit your scores when you apply, use our TOEFL Institution Code: 0974.
- IELTS: total score of at least 6.5 in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0. To submit your scores when you apply, please inform your testing centre that you want your results to be released to the University of Melbourne. This can be done on the day of your test.
- Pearson Test of English Academic : overall score of at least 58 and no PTE communicative skills score below 50. To submit your scores when you apply, please inform Pearson that you want your results shared with the University of Melbourne.
- Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): Cambridge English Score of at least 176 with no skill below 169.
- C2 Proficiency (previously called Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) examination): Cambridge English Score of at least 180 with no skill below 180.
Please note that we don't accept the revised TOEFL paper-delivered test.
*You must achieve the following scores to meet the English language requirement for the Bachelor of Oral Health:
- TOEFL Internet-based test: total score of at least 94 and scores of at least 27 for writing, 23 for speaking, 24 for reading and 24 for listening. To submit your scores when you apply, use our TOEFL Institution Code: 0974.
- IELTS: total score of at least 7.0 in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 7.0. To submit your scores when you apply, please inform your testing centre that you want your results to be released to the University of Melbourne. This can be done on the day of your test.
- Pearson Test of English Academic : overall score of at least 65 and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 65. To submit your scores when you apply, please inform Pearson that you want your results shared with the University of Melbourne.
Secondary school English
You can satisfy our English language requirement with successful completion of one of the secondary school English subjects/courses listed below.
Please note that the below subjects/courses will be accepted as meeting our undergraduate English language requirement for the following timeframes:
- 24 months for an approved secondary school English subject/course, when studied in a country where English is not an official language, or
- 60 months for an approved secondary school English subject/course, when studied in a country where English is an official language.
|Details of how the English language requirement can be satisfied
|Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
|Achieve a P2 or higher in Literature in English or satisfactorily complete both Global Perspectives and Independent Research Report
|GCE A Levels
Grade of at least C in one of the following subjects:
Please note if you have completed Sri Lankan A Levels, you must satisfy the English language requirements by completing an approved English language proficiency test.
|International Baccalaureate Diploma
|At least grade 4 in English or English B at SL or HL
|Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
|A study score of at least 25 in English/English Language/Literature or at least 30 in EAL
|Secondary qualifications in other states
|Equivalent of the VCE requirement
|Alberta High School Diploma
|Pass the 30/31 English subject (only for students completing the qualification in Canada)
|British Columbia Graduation Certificate
|Pass English 12 or English Studies 12 (only for students completing the qualification in Canada)
|Ontario Secondary School Diploma
|Pass ENG4U, ENG3U, ENG3C or ENG4C (only for students completing the qualification in Canada), or at specified schools in Malaysia - please see below for Malaysian details)
|Grade 7 or higher in English A or Grade 10 or higher in English B
|Grade 10 or higher in Leistungskurs or Kurse mit erhöhtem Anforderungsniveau English
|Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education
|English with a grade of 4 or higher
|CBSE XII (All India Senior School Certificate Examination)
|Pass the English subject in the CBSE
|CISCE Indian School Certificate
|Pass the English subject in the ISC
|Grade of at least D2 in higher level English
|Ontario Secondary School Diploma
|Pass ENG4U, ENG3U, ENG3C or ENG4C (only for students completing the qualification at Sunway College, Malaysia)
|Grade 8 or higher in final year English
|National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA)
|Achieve at least 18 credits in Level 3 English including at least 10 at merit or above
|Vitnemål For Videregående Opplæring
|Grade of at least 4 in ENG1002 or ENG1003
|Scottish Qualifications Certificate
|Grade of at least C in Higher Level English
|Singapore A Levels
|Grade of at least C in the Higher 2 (H2) Level subject Knowledge and Inquiry
|South African National Senior Certificate
|Pass final year English
|At least VG or grade 4 in final year English or at least a C grade in English 6
|Advanced Placement exam
|A score of at least 3 in AP English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition
Tertiary study taught and assessed entirely in English
You’ll meet our English language requirement if you:
- Pass at least the first year of a tertiary course~, taught and assessed entirely in English* within the last two years.
- Pass at least a two-year tertiary course~, taught and assessed entirely in English*, within the last five years.
- Passing a single language-rich tertiary subject may also be approved to meet the English language requirement. This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Please provide a full syllabus or detailed subject outline, which includes information such as the specific lecture and practical class timetable, weekly topics or themes covered, modes of assessment, contact hours and reading lists (if any) for the relevant subject(s).
- University of Melbourne subjects which have already been approved for this purpose are available via our Single subject study program (CAP). Subjects must be completed in an assessed mode to meet the English language requirement. Approved subjects include:
~For this purpose, ‘course’ includes a graded VET Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree that is studied for at least one year full-time.
*This does not apply if the institution you studied at is located is in China, India or Pakistan. If you have completed your tertiary studies in another non-English speaking country, you will need to submit the following documentation with your application:
- A letter on official letterhead, or an email from an official staff member email account;
- From the Academic Registrar or a suitable delegate;
- Which specifies either:
- That all degrees at the institution are entirely taught and assessed in English; or
- That the specific degree you completed was entirely taught and assessed in English.
The notification must apply to both the awarding institution and the institution you studied at (if different).
Foundation program study
The score needed to meet our English language requirement for each approved foundation program is outlined below:
Please note: Students completing a fast-track or accelerated version of their foundation program will need to complete an approved English language proficiency test, unless specified below.
|Details of how the English language requirement can be satisfied
|Trinity Foundation Studies
|Pass the English and English for Academic Purposes subjects
|ANU College Foundation Program
|A result of at least 65% in Advanced Academic English
|Monash University Foundation Year
|Pass English Units 1 and 2
|UNSW Foundation Studies Program
|Pass the Academic English subject
|University of Adelaide College Foundation Program
|Pass both English for Academic Purposes and Critical Thinking
|University of Sydney Foundation Program
|Pass English A and English B
|UWA Foundation Program
Standard program: pass four English units
Extended program: pass five English units
Accelerated program: pass four English units
|Western Australian Universities Foundation Program
|Pass English and Australian Cultural Studies
|University of Otago Foundation Year
|Grade B or higher in Academic English
|NCUK International Foundation Year
|Achieve an overall grade of B and a minimum grade of C in each component in English for Academic Purposes
University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program (UMELBP)
Hawthorn-Melbourne, one of Australia’s oldest and largest English language centres, is endorsed by the University as the sole external provider of the University of Melbourne’s English language bridging programs:
- University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program (UMELBP)
- University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program Preparation (UMELBP Prep)
These programs provide a direct English language pathway for international students to many of our undergraduate courses. Visit the Hawthorn English website, to check whether the course you’re interested in at Melbourne accepts UMELBP Prep or the UMELBP as an entry point and for full details regarding entry requirements.
Please note that these English language bridging programs are not available to domestic students.
Academic English language program
Hawthorn-Melbourne offers academic English language programs that can help you to satisfy our English language requirement. These programs include:
- IELTS Preparation Program
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Intensive Academic Preparation (IAP) Program.
- Packaged offers for visa applications.
Packaged offers reduce the time and cost involved for international students applying for Australian visas. They're available if you have an offer from the University that is conditional only on meeting the English language requirement.
This packaged offer enables you to obtain a single visa, if you do an English language course at Hawthorn-Melbourne followed by a University of Melbourne course.
The packaged offer requires you to complete a 10 or 20-week course at Hawthorn-Melbourne (depending on your IELTS score) before commencing your undergraduate degree.
You're eligible for a packaged offer if you:
- Apply through an authorised University overseas representative
- Have an offer for a place at the University of Melbourne that is conditional only on satisfying the University’s English language requirement
- Have achieved an IELTS score of 5.5 with no band less than 5.0 and enrol in a 20-week English course at Hawthorn-Melbourne, or have achieved an IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 and enrol in a 10-week English course at Hawthorn-Melbourne.
Why was I asked to sit an English proficiency test?
If our assessors have any doubt about international applicant’s English language proficiency you may be required to sit an approved English language test to satisfy our English language requirement.
Can I defer my course commencement?
If you apply to defer, your method of satisfying the English language requirement will need to be reviewed. The method you've chosen to satisfy the English language requirement may expire before your new course commencement date - if this is the case a new conditional offer for the updated intake will be issued.
What is Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA)?
Depending on your circumstances, you may be asked to take a DELA on enrolment at the University. DELA is a free assessment designed to help you find out which communications skills you need to focus on. Once you’ve completed the assessment, you’ll be sent a personalised communication skills development plan with programs and resources to help you develop your communication skills further.