Undergraduate English language requirements
Undergraduate degrees are taught and assessed in English across the University of Melbourne. When you apply for an undergraduate degree, you'll need meet the University's English language requirements to be eligible for a place. You can do this in a number of ways, depending on your circumstances.
We have made some temporary revisions to the English language requirements to accommodate challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. For courses commencing mid-year 2020 and all intakes in 2021, the following revisions apply:
- Students who had met English language requirements for Semester 1 2020 and deferred to the mid-year 2020 intake will automatically meet them for mid-year intakes in 2020
- The validity of IELTS, TOEFL and Pearson PTE Academic tests has been temporarily extended from two to three years
- The TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition version is temporarily being accepted as equivalent to existing accepted TOEFL tests
- Tests not listed above or in our existing English Language Requirements, including Duolingo and Versant tests, will not be accepted.
Non-English speaking background
If your offer is conditional on meeting English language requirements, you need to satisfy the requirements of one of these tests, in one sitting, and within 24 months preceding the proposed date of commencement of enrolment.
- TOEFL – you need a score of 577 or more including a score of 4.5 in the Test of Written English for a paper-based test, or a score of 79 and scores of 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 13 for listening for an internet-based test. To submit your scores when you apply, use our TOEFL Institution Code: 0974.
- IELTS – you need a score of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
- Pearson Test of English – you need an overall score of between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
- Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) – you need a Cambridge English Score of 176 with no skill below 169.
Please note: we do not accept the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test.
Scores need to be achieved from a single test report. Examiner’s results are not acceptable.
Undergraduate students with an IELTS overall score of less than 7, a TOEFL (IBT) score of less than 94, a Pearson Test below 65, a Cambridge English Score below 185 or those who have achieved the minimum score in an approved English subject required for entry, will be required to take a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) on enrolment at the University and to follow recommendations for language support.
If your English score in the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) is in the 25-29 range (or a VCE ESL study score in the 30-34 range) you’ll be required to take a DELA on enrolment and follow recommendations for language support.
English speaking background or education
Satisfactorily complete secondary studies and gain the required score in an approved final-year English subject. Approved subjects include:
- An approved Australian Year 12 English subject
- IB English: At least Grade 4 Standard or Higher Level
- An approved Australian Foundation Program English subject
- New Zealand National Certificate in Educational Achievement (NCEA): at least 18 credits of English at level 3 with a minimum grade of 55% (merit)
General Certificate of Education subjects. Applicants who have completed their GCE A Levels can satisfy the University's English language requirements by achieving at least a grade C in one of these approved English subjects:
- AS or A Level General Paper
- AS or A Level General Studies
- AS or A level English Language
- AS or A level English Literature
- AS or A level English Language and Literature
- Applicants who have completed their GCSE and A Levels in the United Kingdom can satisfy the University's English language requirements by achieving either a grade of C in GCE A Levels or a grade of B in GCSE English.
- Applicants who have completed Sri Lankan A Levels must satisfy the English language requirements by completing the TOEFL, IELTS or Pearson Test of English.
- Singapore A Level subjects must be completed at Higher 2 (H2). The Singapore A Level subject Knowledge and Inquiry (H2) also satisfies the English language requirements.
- Studentereksamen (Denmark): English A - Grade 7, English B - Grade 10
- Abitur (Germany): Grade 10 in Leistungskurs English
- VWO (Netherlands): Grade 8 in final year English
- Vitnemal (Norway): Grade 4 in final year English
- Avgangsbetyg/Slutbetyg (Sweden): VG or grade 4 in final year English or a C grade in English 6
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education: English with a Grade of 4 or higher
- Advanced Placement - AP English a score of at least 3
Exchange and Study Abroad students
Other ways to satisfy requirements
You can also satisfy English language requirements by:
- Completing secondary studies with the required entry score in an approved final-year English subject in VCE, IB, approved foundation program English subject, New Zealand National Certificate in Educational Achievement (NCEA) or General Certificate of Education subjects. See indicative entry scores for International students, or
- Satisfactorily completed at least the first year of a tertiary course, taught and assessed entirely in English, within the last two years, or
- Satisfactorily completed at least a two year tertiary course, taught and assessed entirely in English, within the last five years.
For more detail, see Other ways to satisfy English language requirements.
English language assistance
If you don't meet the English language requirement for direct entry you can also consider an Academic English Program or may be eligible for the University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program (UMELBP).