You need to have completed two semesters of full-time tertiary study outside Australia at the time of entry to the University of Melbourne.
A minimum in one of the following grading systems or an equivalent grade from any other country:
- Canada/USA - 3.0 grade point average or higher
- China PRC - an average of 75 or 4 (liang-hao "良好") or higher
- Chile - 5.0 average or 66% or higher
- Europe - 'C' average in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or higher
- Japan - 70% average or 'C' or higher
- Mexico - 80% average or higher
- South Africa - 60% average or higher
- UK - 60% average or higher
Some subjects have prerequisites. You can find these on every course page and in the University of Melbourne Handbook.
English language requirements
To be accepted into either the Exchange or Study Abroad program you need to show evidence that you have satisfied the University's English language requirements if you study at an institution where English is not the language of instruction. The ways in which you can do that are:
- If you have a Non-English speaking background for TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson Test of English or Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). Review the levels required for these tests on the University's English Language requirements page.
- If you have an English-speaking background or education for various high school and final-year approved English subjects. Review the levels required various qualifications on the University's English Language requirements page.
For European applicants there are special English language requirements that apply.
- Common European Framework Language System
International study abroad and exchange students can satisfy the English language requirements by achieving a certificate of English language proficiency from their home institution with an overall grade of C1 (according to the Common European Framework) in lieu of an overall academic IELTS score of 6.5
- Students from Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden
- Studentereksamen (Denmark): English A - Grade 7, English B - Grade 10
- Ylioppilastutkintoto/Lukionpäästötodishis (Finland): Grade of at least 8 or better in English or English A in final year of secondary school.
- Abitur (Germany): Grade 10 in Leistungskurs English
- VWO (Netherlands): Grade 8 in final year English
- Vitnemal (Norway): Grade 4 in final year English
- Avgangsbetyg/Slutbetyg (Sweden): VG or grade 4 in final year English or a C grade in English 6
There are also other ways to satisfy English language requirements with study conducted and assessed entirely in English.
Graduate research requirements
If you're coming on Exchange or Study Abroad principally to do research at PhD or Masters level at the University of Melbourne, you need to meet additional faculty-specific requirements to be eligible for admission.
You may need to meet prerequisites for the subjects you’ve selected. You can find prerequisites in the University of Melbourne Handbook.
The subjects you can choose will depend on meeting entry requirements and what agreement is in place with your home institution.
Interchange elite athletes requirements
You'll need to meet all entry requirements mentioned to be eligible to apply for the elite athletes program Interchange.
Application due dates
If you meet eligibility, ensure you apply by application due dates.