Steps on how to apply and be accepted as an Exchange or Study Abroad student at the University of Melbourne.

This includes how to choose your program, meet eligibility, prepare your application, apply online, accept your offer and get ready for study and life in Melbourne.

If you need help with your application, talk to your study abroad or exchange team at your home institution.

How to apply

  1. Choose program and study type

    First you need to determine if you're eligible to apply as an Exchange or Study Abroad student.

    To find out the differences, see Exchange or Study Abroad program options

    You can choose to study subjects at undergraduate or graduate level depending on your home degree. All subjects are detailed in the University of Melbourne Handbook, including subject codes, subject description, relevant semester, prerequisites (if any) and assessment requirements.

    Some faculties and graduate schools have specific requirements and restrictions.

    See Faculty-specific requirements & restrictions

  2. Check eligibility

    This includes meeting minimum academic entry requirements, subject prerequisites and English language requirements. There are also faculty-specific requirements and restrictions you need to be aware of before applying.

    See Entry requirements

  3. Select subjects and get approval

    While at the University of Melbourne you can explore new areas of learning, such as Australian-based subjects, disciplines unavailable in your own home institution, or simply an elective that you have always wanted to study!

    Explore our study areas

    Download proposed study plan

    Once you know what study area you're interested in, select your subjects and have your study plan approved by an advisor at your home institution.

    Also check our program application due dates so you are aware of when you need to apply by.

    Need help? Contact our Support Services team

  4. Find out about fees and financial assistance

    Program fees

    You won't need to pay tuition fees to Melbourne if you're coming as an exchange student. These will be covered by our agreement with your home institution.

    You will need to pay tuition fees if you're accepted as a study abroad student. These need to be paid directly to the University before you arrive.

    To find out how to do this, see Tuition fees

    Financial assistance

    To help fund your study at Melbourne there may be financial aid assistance you can apply for within your home country.

    • Germany – financial aid is offered to some German students through:
    • USA – the University of Melbourne is also registered to receive students on financial aid from many state and federal governments of the USA. For more information, visit USA Financial Aid.
    • Other countries – check with your home institution's international office for advice on what financial assistance is offered.

    Fund My Travel campaign

    If you're looking to raise funds for your study at Melbourne, you can start a campaign through Fund My Travel.

    The University is an approved provider for Fund My Travel, so you can get started on your campaign right away!

    Visit Fund my Travel

  5. Apply online

    When you apply, use this step-by-step instruction manual to guide you through the application process and find the application link.

    Ensure your application is submitted by our program application due dates.

    You'll be asked to supply your personal details, the name of your home institution, the subjects you want to study, and the study period for which you're applying.

    As well as this you'll be asked to upload supporting documents including the photo page of your passport, academic transcripts, your proposed study plan and evidence of your English language proficiency.

    Your home institution, or your overseas representative (if you are using one), is required to send through a nomination form that confirms your approval to study with us as an Exchange or Study Abroad student.

    Students applying direct to the Study Abroad program (not through their home institution study abroad office) do not need to provide a nomination form.

    Submit nomination form

  6. Wait for acceptance

    Once you have submitted your application, you'll receive a confirmation email with a seven digit student ID number.

    If your application is complete, it can take two months from the time you apply to being accepted and getting your student visa. In some instances, depending on subject or faculty requirements, it may take longer.

    During this time, you may receive requests for more information as needed, please ensure you check the email listed in your application regularly and respond as soon as possible, as failure to do so may result in delays in processing your application.

  7. Meet visa requirements

    Once your completed acceptance is received, an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be sent to the email address listed on the application.

    With your CoE you can then apply for your student visa with the Department of Home Affairs.

    For step-by step advice on how to enrol, go to Get Started – Exchange/Study Abroad Students

    Visa conditions

    If you have a student visa to study in Australia you are legally required to do full-time study in a CRICOS-registered course. Exchange or Study Abroad students must enrol in a minimum of 37.5 credit points per semester.

    See if you need to take out Australian Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you arrive. You may also be required to do additional character and health tests.

    To find out more about visas, visit Department of Home Affairs – Studying in Australia

    Under 18 students

    If you're under 18 years of age when you arrive in Australia, you'll also need to organise appropriate accommodation, support, and welfare arrangements for your stay in Australia. These will need to be approved prior to your arrival. You can get help organising this through your home institution or an overseas representative.

    Find out more about applying as an Under 18 student

  8. Plan your arrival

    Apply for accommodation

    With your eight digit student number you can apply for accommodation immediately. You don't need to wait for an exchange or study abroad offer.

    • Accommodation options include: the University Accommodation, Residential Colleges, student apartments, share houses and temporary accommodation. Visit accommodation to view your options.
    • As an exchange or study abroad student you are eligible to apply for a variety of accommodation options with a single application through University Accommodation.
    • If you want to live in a Residential College you need to apply through our separate application process – not with the Residential College. You'll also need to apply by residential college application due dates.

    If you later change your mind about the housing or are not accepted by the University, you can simply decline the housing offer.

    Find out about accommodation

    Here you can find information on different types of accommodation, rental costs, budgeting for living in Melbourne, how to apply, and important application dates.

    Get ready for study

    As well as this, there are a range of things you'll need to organise before you arrive in Melbourne and start classes.

    This includes organising your student visa, organising airport pickup, attending our welcome day (orientation), exploring campus and more.

    To help you do this, see Getting ready

How to apply for our elite athlete program

If you want to join the University's elite sports program Interchange while on exchange or study abroad, you'll need submit an additional application with University of Melbourne Sports.

Find out more and apply

Apply for a Residential College

If you love the idea of living in one of our residential colleges, and be immersed in their unique culture and history, you can apply through our Exchange and Study Abroad application portal.

Go to Residential Colleges