Study Abroad/ Exchange Research program

The University of Melbourne offers students studying at overseas institutions the opportunity to complete a period of research as part of your home degree studies. You may be able to undertake this research as an Exchange or Study Abroad student.

As part of our Study Abroad or Exchange research program you may undertake research at Melbourne for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months. Your research period may be extended to up to two years with special permission.

To complete a period of research with us you are required to find an academic at the University of Melbourne willing to act as your temporary supervisor for the duration of your research program.

Please note, you must allow time for student visa processing when planning your start date.

If you are a staff member, requiring more information on the different ways that international researchers can choose to visit the University of Melbourne, please visit our Honorary and University Guests appointments webpage.


To be eligible to complete a period of research at Melbourne, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in a degree at an overseas institution that is recognised by the University of Melbourne
  • Your participation in our program is to undertake research towards your degree at your home institution
  • Meet the University’s English language requirements or satisfy the University that your level of English is suitable for the purpose of your research and will allow you to meet all safety requirements
  • Have an agreement in writing from an academic at the University of Melbourne who is willing to act as your temporary supervisor while you are undertaking your research
  • Plan to undertake research for a minimum period of three months or a maximum period of twelve months, this may be extended up to two years with special permission
  • As an Exchange research student you must attend an institution that is a current partner institution of the University and have the support of your home institution’s exchange office to join our research program

Note: You are able to arrive in Australia up to three weeks prior to, or three weeks after, your official start date.

Finding a supervisor

It is mandatory for all Study Abroad and Exchange research students to find a supervisor to provide you with guidance and support throughout the duration of your stay.

When selecting a prospective research supervisor, it is important to contact an academic with the expertise to guide you in your field of research. They should also have the capacity to meet the needs of your research schedule and encourage you to meet your academic goals.

If you do not have contacts at the University of Melbourne, check out our Find an expert website.

Visit Find an expert

How to apply

Follow these steps to submit your Study Abroad or Exchange research application:

  • Ensure you have all required documentation; including official academic transcripts and evidence of language proficiency
  • Make contact with a temporary supervisor who is willing to academically support you during your studies here in Melbourne
  • Download the application guide and follow the instructions carefully
  • Research the appropriate Australian visa for your visit. Learn more about your visa options. You can check visa processing times at this webpage and should apply early enough for allow for your visa to be processed before your planned arrival date.

Download the guide to submit your Study Abroad/ Exchange Research application.


Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you if further information is required.  If you require assistance with a study abroad research application you may contact us at, noting that we are unable to assist with finding temporary supervisors and you must follow the above instructions and provide all required information for assessment.

Fees and payments

Study Abroad research students

As a Study Abroad research student you will have your tuition fees waived by the faculty at Melbourne hosting your research.

If you are applying for a student visa you will need to pay for the cost of visa length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) when you accept your offer.

Exchange research students

As an Exchange research student nominated by your home institution to undertake research at Melbourne, you will not be required to pay tuition fees to the University of Melbourne.

The exchange office at your home institution is required to send the University of Melbourne your exchange nomination at the time of your application.

Plan your arrival

Once you've applied and been accepted into a program, it's a good idea to start planning you arrival at Melbourne. From organising visas to finding accommodation, there are several things you'll need to get ready before you depart.

Start planning