Study Abroad/ Exchange Research program
The University of Melbourne offers students studying at overseas institutions the opportunity to complete a period of research as part of your home degree studies. You may be able to undertake this research as an Exchange or Study Abroad student.
As part of our Study Abroad or Exchange research program you may undertake research at Melbourne for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months. Your research period may be extended to up to two years with special permission.
To complete a period of research with us you are required to find an academic at the University of Melbourne willing to act as your temporary supervisor for the duration of your research program.
Please note, you must submit your application at least twelve weeks in advance of your preferred start date.
If you are a staff member, requiring more information on the different ways that international researchers can choose to visit the University of Melbourne, please visit our Honorary and University Guests appointments webpage.
To be eligible to complete a period of research at Melbourne, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a degree at an overseas institution that is recognised by the University of Melbourne
- Your participation in our program is to undertake research towards your degree at your home institution
- Meet the University’s English language requirements or satisfy the University that your level of English is suitable for the purpose of your research and will allow you to meet all safety requirements
- Have an agreement in writing from an academic at the University of Melbourne who is willing to act as your temporary supervisor while you are undertaking your research
- Plan to undertake research for a minimum period of three months or a maximum period of twelve months, this may be extended up to two years with special permission
- As an Exchange research student you must attend an institution that is a current partner institution of the University and have the support of your home institution’s exchange office to join our research program
- As a Study Abroad student you must be able to commence your research at one of four time during the year: 1st February, 1st May, 1st August or the 1st November.
Note: You are able to arrive in Australia up to three weeks prior to, or three weeks after, your offical start date.
Finding a supervisor
It is mandatory for all Study Abroad and Exchange research students to find a supervisor to provide you with guidance and support throughout the duration of your stay.
When selecting a prospective research supervisor, it is important to contact an academic with the expertise to guide you in your field of research. They should also have the capacity to meet the needs of your research schedule and encourage you to meet your academic goals.
If you do not have contacts at the University of Melbourne, check out our Find an expert website.
How to apply
Follow these steps to submit your Study Abroad or Exchange research application:
- Ensure you have all required documentation; including official academic transcripts and evidence of language proficiency
- Make contact with a temporary supervisor who is willing to academically support you during your studies here in Melbourne
- Download the application guide and follow the instructions carefully
- Research the appropriate Australian visa for your visit. Learn more about your visa options.
Download the guide to submit your Study Abroad/ Exchange Research application.
Once successfully submitted you will receive an acknowledgment email within several hours. Please forward that email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted at least 12 weeks in advance of your preferred start date.
Study Abroad applications only
All Study Abroad research applicants must commence their research during one of the four intakes listed below. Exchange research students may commence their research at any point throughout the year.
|For Study Abroad applications commencing||Apply by|
|1st February||1st November the previous year|
|1st May||1st February of that year|
|1st August||1st May of that year|
|1st November||1st August of that year|
Fees and payments
Study Abroad research students
As a Study Abroad research student you will pay your tuition fees directly to Melbourne. You may your tuition fees waived by the faculty at Melbourne hosting your research.
To find our more information about fees and payments as a Study Abroad research student, please see our Fees and payments website.
Exchange research students
As an Exchange research student nominated by your home institution to undertake research at Melbourne, you will not be required to pay tuition fees to the University of Melbourne.
The exchange office at your home institution is required to send the University of Melbourne your exchange nomination at the time of your application.