Mid-year applications

We welcome applications from international undergraduate students for mid-year entry in 2024.

Here's how to get started

  1. Meet entry requirements

    To be eligible for entry to an undergraduate degree you must fulfil all of the following requirements:

    • Complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification
    • Complete each of the prerequisite subjects for the course and any prerequisite tests, interviews or auditions
    • Achieve the required marks in each of the prerequisite subjects. You can find these on every course page
    • Achieve the minimum Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), notional ATAR or equivalent score for your preferred course. You can find these details on every course page
    • Meet the English language requirements.
  2. Apply online

    Based on your previous study, there are different ways to apply for mid-year entry to an undergraduate course as an international student.

    Apply through Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) if you're:

    • A current University of Melbourne undergraduate student wanting to transfer to another undergraduate University of Melbourne course (i.e. an internal transfer applicant).

    Apply through VTAC

    All other international students

    All other international students can apply directly to the University of Melbourne for mid-year entry, including students who are:

    • Currently completing an Australian Year 12 qualification (worldwide)
    • Currently completing an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in Australia or New Zealand.

    Completed applications should be submitted online by 31 May 2024 for studies commencing in late July 2024.

    Apply direct

    Application fee

    All new international applicants are required to pay an application fee of AUD$130. You can then choose your course preferences. You'll also need to provide a copy of your academic results as part of your application. If any documents are written in a language other than English, you must include an official translation.

    For more information about supporting documentation, see your online application.

    Appoint an approved education agent

    If you need help applying, you can find a University of Melbourne approved education agent authorised to help you lodge an application, accept your offer and apply for a student visa (if admitted into the University). To find out about their costs and services, see find an authorised education agent.

    Don't have your results yet?

    You can still apply if you haven't received your results. You'll need to submit these results as soon as you receive them in order to be eligible to be considered for selection into an undergraduate course.

  3. Receiving an offer

    For international students required to apply through VTAC

    University of Melbourne international offers will be released in the following VTAC offer rounds:

    • June round (round 1): Tuesday 25 June 2024*
    • July round 1 (round 2): Wednesday 10 July 2024*
    • July round 2 (round 3): Tuesday 16 July 2024

    Check your VTAC account (after 2pm AEST) to see if you have been offered a place.

    *Please note, if you do not receive an offer in the June round or in July round 1, it may be because we have not yet received your Semester 1, 2024 results for consideration. If you still have results pending, you’ll need to wait until July round 2 (round 3) for an outcome. This timing applies to current University of Melbourne students who are applying for an internal transfer.

    If you have been successful, an offer from the University will be sent to you on the same afternoon.

    For international students who are required to apply directly to the University

    You will receive your outcome letter by email.

    You can track your application by logging back into your student account, or online account where you applied, and viewing the status of your application.

    If you receive an offer, you can then go to Get Started at Melbourne to activate your student account and accept your offer.


    International students offered a place at mid-year may be eligible to defer the commencement of their studies. Please note that deferrals are not automatically granted and not all undergraduate courses have the option to defer. Refer to the Defer my offer page for more detail. Once you have received your offer, you can submit a deferral application online. Deferral requests must be supported by documented compassionate or compelling circumstances if you request a deferral after your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) has already been issued.

  4. Credit for previous study

    Receiving credit (also known as advanced standing) means that you won’t have to repeat subjects that have equivalents in your new course, and you may be able to finish your course sooner.

    Credit for completed tertiary studies may be granted if they are comparable in content, equivalent in standard and relevant to the new course. Faculties specify the maximum credit allowable and publish guidelines. You can apply for credit from within the online application.

    Find out about credit (advanced standing)