How to apply
|Key Dates for 2021|
|Applications open for 2021||Wednesday 16 September 2020|
UMEP Information Evening
|Wednesday 16 September 2020|
|Applications close for 2021||11:59pm Sunday 3 January 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.|
|Language Placement Tests (online) must be completed by||11:59pm Friday 15 January 2021|
|Physics Selection Test||January 2021 (date TBA)|
|Outcomes sent to applicants||No later than Wednesday 20 January 2021|
|UMEP Orientation Day||Friday 22 January 2021 (TBC)|
|School Centre classes start (off campus)||Term 1 commences Wednesday 27 January 2021 (School Centres determine their class start date)|
|Physics classes (on campus)||February 2021 (date TBA)|
|Semester 1 classes (on campus)||Monday 1 March to Sunday 30 May 2021|
|Semester 1 exam period||Monday 7 June to Friday 25 June 2021|
|Semester 1 results release date||Friday 9 July 2021|
|Semester 2 classes (on campus)||Saturday 24 July to Sunday 24 October 2021|
|Semester 2 exam period||Monday 1 November to Friday 19 November 2021|
|Semester 2 results release date||Friday 3 December 2021|
Steps to applying for the Melbourne Extension program
There are a number of subject areas available. You can choose only one to study – so research carefully.
Things to consider:
- What the subjects are about and if you will enjoy them
- The timetable, contact hours, locations and ease of transport to classes
- What kinds of assessment the subjects involve
- Whether you will meet the prerequisite requirements.
You'll need to be studying a normal full-time VCE or IB load over Year 11 and 12, have completed a minimum of five VCE Units 3 and 4 subjects or equivalent IB subjects at the conclusion of your secondary studies, and have at least a B+ average across non-prerequisite/co-requisite subjects.
You'll also require a school recommendation, principal approval, and permission from your parents.
Your application will be assessed by looking at your results in all Units 1 and 2 subjects as well as any Units 3 and 4 subjects you have already completed. You'll need to satisfy subject prerequisites and requirements.
Forms you’ll need to complete and submit:
Once you have established that you are eligible and have permissions for the Extension Program, you will need to submit an online application.
Once you have begun the application under ‘Apply as a new student’, registered your name, contact details and citizenship, you will be able to commence a course application
Course application steps
- To begin the Extension Program application, just enter the Course Code 'NA-UMEP' into the 'Course Code' box on the Course application page, then click the 'Search' button
- Once the Extension Program is listed ('University of Melbourne Extension Program - NA-UMEP'), click the blue 'Add' button next to the '2020, Fee Exempt, Part Time, On Campus, Standard' option. Please note: All Extension Program subject areas are classified as 'On Campus', even those that are delivered at School Centres
- Once the University of Melbourne Extension Program has been added to your application, you will need to click the blue 'Proceed with Application' button (at the bottom right of the screen)
- There are no scholarships associated with the Extension Program (as the University of Melbourne does not charge tuition fees for Extension Program enrolment), so you will need to click the blue 'Skip this step' button on the 'Search for a scholarship' screen
- Click the blue 'Skip this step' button on the 'Advanced Standing Application' screen
- Once the Extension Program is listed on the 'Courses' screen, click the blue 'Proceed with Application' button
- You will now need to complete all online application requirements, including uploading the Parent/Guardian Permission Form and Teacher Recommendation and Principal Approval Form, plus any other documentation required to support your application.
Complete your application at your convenience
You can click the blue 'Save' button at any time, then return to your application later. Just make sure that you always log back in to your application using the ID number and password. These are the same ones that the system automatically emails to you after you have registered your name and contact details.
Once you have successfully submitted your online application you will receive an automatic email from the University, confirming receipt of your Extension Program online application.
Submit the correct documents
While this email confirms that your online application has been submitted successfully, you must still make sure all required documents (including results) are attached to your application in order to be considered for a place in the Extension Program.
What you need to submit
Complete the process by logging back into your online application to submit:
- Complete copies of your Year 11 school reports (both semester 1 and semester 2), including details of all VCE Units 1 and 2 results, or Year 11 IB results (please include a grading scale key so that your results can be easily standardised for assessment purposes). If you completed any Unit 1 and 2 subjects prior to Year 11 please also submit the reports for these
- A copy of your official ‘Statement of results’ for any VCE Units 3 and 4 subjects that you have completed in Year 11 or earlier (if applicable)
- A copy of your VASS ‘Full Details Report’ (your school should be able to provide this).
If you have questions about your Extension Program application, please email the Extension Program .