Doctoral Program in Marketing
- CRICOS code: 056955G | 098523G
Applicants to the University of Melbourne must use the online application form to apply for all graduate research degrees and to make a scholarship application (ensure you apply for course code: DR-PHILBE). International applicants may also apply through a University of Melbourne registered Overseas Representative.
Attach supporting documents
Please be sure to attach in full all relevant supporting documents (previous academic transcripts, evidence of English language requirements, GMAT/GRE score sheets). We will not be able to assess your application without these documents.
- Previous academic transcripts, including evidence of completions if applicable.
- Evidence of English language requirements
- GMAT/GRE score sheets
- Curriculum Vitae. A current CV outlining your all complete and incomplete academic qualifications and work experience, and details of any research publications (if relevant).
- Personal statement of no more than 1000 words that addresses the following questions:
- Why do you want to pursue a doctorate in Marketing?
- Why do you want to pursue your doctorate at the Melbourne Business School?
- What experiences have you had that demonstrate your ability to perform well in a doctoral program?
- What are your areas of interest in the field of Marketing? What phenomena would you like to study? What questions do you think are particularly interesting?
To support your application, you will need to nominate two referees who can comment on your academic ability and research potential in the University’s referee report forms, which will automatically be sent out to those academics to complete. Applicants who graduated from the University of Melbourne within the last 5 years only need to provide the names and contact details for two academic referees as part of their application.
All referee reports must be submitted using the online tool. On submission of your application, your referees will be emailed a link to access the online referee form and they must provide their references using this online form. You will be notified when they submit the reference. Your application may be deemed as incomplete if the referee reports are not submitted before the application closing dates.
Things to consider before applying
Your Previous Qualifications
You must have completed a degree in an area that is relevant to your intended research topic.
You must demonstrate that you have a specialist understanding of the academic body of knowledge in this area.
Strong Evidence of Research Ability
You will usually have completed a research project at fourth year or at masters level, counting for at least 25% of that year's work.
Motivation and Commitment
You need to demonstrate that you understand the level of commitment it takes to complete a graduate research degree.
For example, a full-time candidate would be expected to devote at least 40 hours a week and a part-time candidate about 20 hours.
If you are successful in obtaining an offer for a place, you must complete your enrolment and commence your course by the first day of Semester 2.
All commencing doctoral students are invited to the Faculty’s Orientation Welcome Session at the start of the semester. At this session you'll be introduced to your Graduate School, learn about our facilities and services, and get a chance to meet coordinators and peers from your program.
Graduate researchers must be resident in Victoria for at least one third of their candidature. For more information on residency requirements please see the Melbourne Policy Library Selection and Admission Policy (MPF1295).
Transferring graduate research students must use the same process to apply.
Frequently asked questions
For questions, please check our frequently asked questions. If you still can't find what you're looking for, contact one of our friendly advisors for help.
Before you apply
- Check the degree website
- Check the entry requirements and make sure you're eligible
- Submit an application online