Master of Applied Linguistics
- CRICOS Code: 077928D
Domestic student application deadlines
Semester ONE (FEBRUARY) entry
- Commonwealth supported place (CSP) applications – 30 November
- Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) applications – 30 November
- Australian Fee-paying place applications – 19 February
Semester TWO (JULY) entry
- Commonwealth supported place (CSP) applications – 31 May
- Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) applications – 31 May
- Australian Fee-paying place applications – 12 July
Please note: late applications may be considered
Some courses may have earlier closing dates. For more detailed information please visit the Faculty of Arts Graduate coursework web page
Are you eligible for a Graduate Access Melbourne place?
Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) aims to minimise barriers and broaden access to graduate coursework study at the University of Melbourne. The GSHSS Graduate Access Melbourne scheme is open to GSHSS Masters by Coursework applicants.
You are strongly encouraged to submit a Graduate Access Melbourne application to support your course application if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident or the holder of a permanent Humanitarian Visa who can demonstrate the capacity to succeed in the Masters degree of your choice. You must also qualify for one or more of the following criteria:
- Recognition as an Indigenous Australian
- Previous status as a refugee
- Disadvantaged socio-economic circumstances
- Disability or chronic medical condition
- Difficult personal circumstances
Are you an Indigenous student?
We are committed to increasing representation of Indigenous Australians in tertiary education. If you are an applicant with an Indigenous background, you are eligible for a one-off bursary of up to $5000. For more information please contact the School of Culture and Communication.
Are you applying for more than one GSHSS course?
If you would like to apply for more than one degree within the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, please be sure to register your preferences online.
Keep in mind when applying for multiple programs that:
- If you apply for more than one GSHSS course all course preferences will be assessed for eligibility but you will receive an offer letter only for your highest successful course preference
- If Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) are available for the degree you apply for, you’ll automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place if your CSP application is unsuccessful. So, you don’t need to lodge separate applications for both fee types
If your application is for a course with multiple entry points, you will be asked to nominate your preferred entry point during the online application. Admission to the 200, 150 or 100 point program will be based on course entry requirements.
We will always assess your application for the shortest program that you qualify for on the basis of the information you provide in regard to work experience and prior study.
If you nominate entry to a longer duration program, but we assess you as eligible for a shorter duration program, then your course offer will include both options.
Frequently asked questions
Supporting documents for your application
Applicants must provide scanned copies of all original academic transcripts for studies not completed at the University of Melbourne. (If you are currently studying at the University of Melbourne, or have studied here in the past, we can access your University of Melbourne academic records). You will need to be able to produce original documents if requested, however for the purpose of applying you can scan a copy and upload this during the online application process.
Documents must include an official key that explains the grades for each institution. When submitting, please:
- Ensure all documents clearly identify your name, application ID Number, and degree applied for
- Include your current CV and contact details of at least two professional referees if you have relevant work experience or your previous studies were completed more than 10 years ago
- Provide an official certified English translation of any document that is not written in English
In addition to degree entry requirements, all applicants must also establish they meet the Graduate English Language requirements of the University of Melbourne.
Other important things to keep in mind:
- If you are eligible to apply for a Graduate Access Melbourne place, you need to complete the Graduate Access Melbourne section during your online degree application and upload supporting documents
- If you are studying outside the University of Melbourne in the current semester, you are required to provide an official record / transcript of your current degree results to date, as an uploaded electronic file during your online application
- If you hold an Honours degree relevant to your Masters application that is not listed on your transcript, please provide a synopsis for review
- A current CV must be provided if your qualifications are more than 10 years old
- You may also wish to submit a personal statement highlighting key aspects of their application and interest in the degree
Before you apply
- Check the degree website
- Check the entry requirements and make sure you're eligible
- Check the graduate coursework website for information about application deadlines, supporting documents, English requirements, tuition fees etc.
- Find out if you’re eligible for a Graduate Access Melbourne place or scholarship
- Gather all supporting documents to upload during the online application process