Master of Architecture
- CRICOS Code: 061224A
How to apply
1. Completion of an undergraduate degree
Ensure you meet the undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree) prerequisite for the program you would like to apply for.
- A three-year undergraduate degree with a weighted average of at least 65% (equivalent to the University of Melbourne grading scheme) is required to apply for most programs in the MSD
- Three-year undergraduate degrees in related disciplines are required to apply for 200 point stream in the Master programs. If you have completed a three-year undergraduate degree in a non-related discipline you must apply for the 300 point stream in the Master programs
- View the Master of Architecture entry requirements
2. Submission of academic results
- Provide an original or copy of your academic transcript together with a grading scale used by the University (or Faculty/Department) where you completed your undergraduate degree.
- Please ensure any transcripts for studies completed as part of a study abroad/exchange program are included as well as transcripts for subjects transferred/credited towards your degree.
- If you have completed your Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne you do not need to submit a hard copy of your results.
3. English language
Domestic applicants who have not completed previous studies in Australia may need to satisfy the University's English Language requirements.
4. Personal statement
- Applications for the Master of Architecture require a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining prior study, work experience, and motivation to undertake the program.
- Your statement can be uploaded via the online application system.
- Read about personal statements and how they are assessed.
5. Design portfolio
A design portfolio is required for the Master of Architecture (both 200 and 300 point streams).
- Portfolios are to be submitted through the online submission portal Slideroom.
- You will need to set up a Slideroom account to upload your portfolio after you have completed your University of Melbourne online application and received a University of Melbourne applicant identification number.
- Following completion of your online application, you will receive a link to the MSD Slideroom portal.
PaymentThere is a portfolio submission fee of USD$5 which you will need pay before your portfolio can successfully be submitted. You can pay the submission fee using one of the following: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diner’s Club and China Union Pay.
- The file size of your portfolio should not exceed 10 MB
- The number of pages should not exceed 15-20 single pages. Please note this includes cover page and contents.
- The portfolio must be saved as one PDF file and must be in landscape format
- Note that portfolios are evaluated digitally and should be easily readable with limited zooming or scrolling
Each page of your portfolio should include:
- If your work is a product of university study please specify a short description of the brief, the academic year level of the studio, the subject name and the nature of your involvement (i.e. individual or group work)
- You must indicate if each project is individual or group work. In the case of group work or a professional project, please indicate roles, responsibilities and the percentage of your input to the design project. You should include only one professional or work experience project in the portfolio unless your undergraduate degree was completed 5 or more years before the date of submission
- Where a page of the portfolio has multiple images, please label each image
- Applicants for the Master of Architecture 200pt stream are encouraged to use th Design Portfolio Template when compiling their portfolios.
- See how design portfolios are assessed by the Selection Committee: Design Portfolio Matrix
6. Application dates
- Final application deadline for Semester 1, 2019 is Friday 30 November 2018
- Semester start dates are available in the Academic Calendar
- You should hear within 4 weeks of submission of your complete application (including all supporting documentation)
- If you are currently admitted to the Bachelor of Environments, you must submit your online application prior to the deadline. Additional documents such as a design portfolio and/or personal statement can be submitted up until November 30 for Semester 1, 2019.
- Late applications will not be considered for the 300 point stream but may be accepted for the 200 point stream in special circumstances.
Before you apply
- Check the degree website
- Completion of an undergraduate degree
- Submission of academic results
- English Language Requirements
- Personal statement
- Design portfolio