Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship
Become part of a highly-supported group of teachers earning a salary and learning on the job while you study. This world-class qualification prepares you to teach 12 to 18 years with specialist knowledge in two curriculum areas.
Why study at Melbourne?
- Earn an income: After an initial intensive program, you'll be placed in a school with teaching responsibilities on a starting para-professional salary for the remainder of the course.
- Holistic approach to teaching: As well as creating high impact learning environments, gain other important skills such as establishing safe environments and promoting positive behaviours to nurture wellbeing for yourself and your students, and encourage future generations to adopt an ecological mindset through sustainable practices.
- Indigenous perspectives: Build a greater understanding of Indigenous worldviews, in particular Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing and being so you are empowered with inclusive learning activities for Australia’s next-generation citizens.
- Readiness to teach: Become a highly qualified secondary teacher in two years. Build confidence in classrooms by integrating the latest theory with practice so you can work with learners of all abilities and evaluate, identify and support their individual learning needs as they evolve over time.
- Unparalleled support: Internships are supported by the Victorian Government. Mentor Teachers and Clinical Specialists will also work with you every step of the way.
See our FAQs for answers to commonly asked questions about this course.
Looking to study a Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship? Join us on campus for an information session on Wednesday, 20 July or for a live webinar on Tuesday, 26 July to hear how you can study for your teaching qualification while working in a Victorian secondary school.
Who is the Program For?
Perfect for recent graduates or those looking to embark on a career change into secondary teaching. Gain the benefit of earning a professional salary whilst learning on the job.
The structure of the program is ideal for those who prefer learning by doing, with a combination of intensives, online learning and a paid teaching position in a Victorian school. No prior teaching experience is required.
You will have Permission to Teach from the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) during the course and become eligible for full teacher registration once you graduate.
Interested in employing an intern for your school? The Department of Education and Training (DET) is currently seeking interest from Victorian schools to participate in this program. Register your interest or find out more about school eligibility or how an Intern could benefit your classroom by emailing email@example.com.