Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship
This course is open to domestic students only. You must be eligible for employment in Australia.
Application closing dates
Applications will open on 5 March for our November 2021 intake.
Applications close: 8 July, 2021
MGSE is pleased to be able to offer a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) to commencing interns placed in eligible Government schools including in regional and rural Victoria commencing in the Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship.
Please contact us to find out more and check school and application eligibility: email@example.com.
You will have a greater chance of being placed in a school if you are flexible with the geographic location where you are placed.
1. Application process
- Complete the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT) prior to applying.
- Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- Previous academic transcripts
- Evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- Evidence of completion of the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT).
2. Selection process
Applicants are initially assessed on meeting the minimum course entry requirements, including the requirements for two learning areas and meeting the TCAT standards. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the Melbourne Graduate School of Education (MGSE) Selection Committee. All applicants must meet the English language requirements prior to the interview process (i.e. complete IELTS etc.). Please note applicants must meet VIT's English language requirements for this course.
Depending on the interview outcome, selected applicants with learning areas that match current teaching vacancies in participating schools will be invited to attend a school-based interview for employment.
Only applicants who are appointed by a participating school to a teaching vacancy will be made an offer of admission into the Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship.
3. Application outcome
Applicants will be notified of their application outcome by email. Final admission into the course will be dependent on the Victorian Institute of Teaching granting the applicant Permission to Teach status (the University will assist with this process).
GRADUATE ACCESS MELBOURNE
Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) is the University’s equity program for domestic graduate students. Under GAM, specific circumstances of applicants will be considered in relation to admission and financial assistance bursaries. There are two parts to this program:
- Admission: Graduate Access Melbourne may assist you to gain admission into a graduate degree, even if your tertiary marks are below the entry requirements. In assessing applications faculties and schools look to balance opportunity and your capacity to succeed.
- Financial Assistance: Under GAM you are also considered for a grant of $5,000. Bursaries will be offered to students with the highest overall level of current disadvantage within one or more of the Graduate Access Melbourne categories.
In submitting an application under this program, you will be considered for admission and financial assistance. Completed GAM forms are to be submitted together with your course application and will be considered for entry into the course and the Graduate Access Melbourne bursary. An application does not guarantee success and you may be awarded one, neither or both, depending on your individual circumstances.
To be eligible to apply for GAM you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident or the holder of a permanent Humanitarian Visa. You need to demonstrate the capacity to succeed in the Masters’ degree of your choice and qualify under one or more of the following equity categories:
- Indigenous Australian
- previous status as a refugee
- disadvantaged socio-economic circumstances
- disability or chronic medical condition
- difficult personal circumstances.