Specialist Certificate in the Management of Low Vision Patients
Where will this take me?
Continue your professional development
For optometrists in Australia and New Zealand, this Specialist Certificate easily satisfies your annual CPD point quota, as determined by the Optometry Board of Australia.
Please note: Registration to practice in Australia is NOT granted on completion of this course.
On completion of the subject the enrolled optometrists will:
- Understand the main causes of visual impairment, their prognosis and effects on task performance
- Understand the epidemiology of vision impairment and how vision impairment impacts on daily life
- Understand the procedures for the comprehensive assessment of low vision
- Prescribe optical magnification devices that will enhance low vision
- Be able to provide instruction on the use of non-optical devices that will be of practical benefit to the vision-impaired patient
- Understand the strategies used by the various professionals in the multidisciplinary low vision rehabilitation team
- Understand the social and personal impact of vision loss and the patterns of behavioural response
- Be able to improve their scope of clinical care to include low vision patient management gain
- Have an ability to modify and improve practice based on dialogue, self-reflection and life-long learning.