Frequently asked questions

Common questions about entry requirements, how to apply, scholarships, international applications, course types – and how to contact us if you need more help.

What does this word mean?

Definitions for terms you may come across at the University of Melbourne.

A-Z glossary

Current student FAQ

If you're a current student, visit Stop 1 to explore our comprehensive student support network.

Visit Stop 1

Support centre

To find application resources, support information and contact details, visit our support centre.

Go to support

We have a range of online guides and resources to help you complete your course application.

How to apply

The application process varies with your preferred level and area of study, and whether you are a domestic or international student.

  • Domestic students are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a permanent humanitarian visa holder.
  • International students are a temporary visa holders or a bridging visa holders.

You can find detailed application guides to match your requirements on our How to apply web page.

Current Year 12 students interested in studying at the University, must submit a course application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Applications open each year in August.

Learn more: How to apply

You can list up to to eight course preferences. Each of your nominated VTAC preferences will consider your application at the same time, regardless of how high or low they appear on your preference list.

Key points to remember:

  • Your VTAC preference order won't disadvantage your application. Universities don't consider whether their course is preference number 1 or 8 when deciding to make you an offer.
  • You only receive a single offer each round. VTAC examines your preferences and sends you a single offer that corresponds to your highest preference. Course preferences should be listed in the order you would most like to study, with your dream courses at the top, regardless of how likely you think they are to make you an offer.

For a step by step VTAC guide, visit How to apply for courses or Changing your course preferences.

To transfer to the University of Melbourne from another institution, you need to follow our standard application process. You can find detailed application guides for all our courses on our How to apply web page.

If your application is successful, you can apply for Advanced Standing (also known as recognition of prior learning or credit) to receive credit from your prior studies, reducing your overall course duration at Melbourne.

If you successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent) but have taken some time off before applying for university courses, please follow the standard undergraduate application process.

If you have taken at least seven years away from any kind of study, you may be eligible to apply for undergraduate study via our Non-school leaver pathway.  

If you have not completed an Australian Year 12 qualification or equivalent (or didn't do well enough in your Year 12 subjects for admission to your preferred degree) you could become eligible by:

Learn more and explore other options: Mature Age applicants (non-school leaver)

Our selection officers prioritise course application assessments according to their intake, not the date of submission. The selection periods for our key intakes are:

  • Start year (February) intake: September of the preceding year
  • Mid-year (July) intake: March of the same year.

Once the assessment of your application has begun, you can expect to receive an outcome within the below timeframes:

Course type and indicative application turnaround time:
Undergraduate: 4-8 weeks
Graduate coursework: 4-8 weeks
Graduate research: 8-12 weeks

The indicative turnaround times listed above will not be relevant if the course you have applied for:

  • Makes selection decisions only at set times during the year (this can be determined by consulting our How to apply page)
  • Requires results from an admissions test that have not yet been released (e.g. GMAT, GAMSAT/MCAT)
  • Requires outcomes of auditions or interviews that have not yet been scheduled.

When completing your online course application, you will be prompted to upload supporting documentation.

Most documents can be uploaded directly to your course application. For detailed instructions, please see How to upload documents. Please note that the sum of documents under each section within your course application must not exceed 6MB.

If you have previously completed tertiary studies in China, India or Pakistan, you may need to provide your documentation via an alternative method. If this applies to you, please visit our Supporting documentation guide.

If you receive an error message while completing your online course application, please attempt the following troubleshooting steps:

  • Use a computer or laptop when accessing the system.
  • Ensure that you are using a compatible internet browser. For optimal performance, please use Google Chrome. The system also operates on the most recent versions of Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Safari.
  • Clear the cache (cookies and temporary internet files), then reload the browser before attempting to log in again. Alternatively, try opening the application system in an incognito/ private browsing tab.
  • Review your application to check that all sections of the form are complete. If a section does not apply to you, please enter 'NA' into the text field, or upload a blank document where applicable.
  • Uploading documents is a two-step process. In each section, first 'Choose' the file(s) and then press 'Upload Files'.
  • When attaching supporting documents, ensure the total size of all files in each section is less than 6MB. For example, you can upload three 2MB files in the Personal Statement section of the application system. If the size of all files totals more than 6MB, you might consider compressing one or more files or uploading the document in two separate sections of the application.
  • Save all document attachments prior to clicking the 'Save & Continue’ button at the bottom of each page.
  • After all sections of the application form are complete, press 'Save', then 'Submit' to lodge your application.
  • If you are having difficulty with the Application Fee payment section, check that your postal address is no more than 80 characters and written in the English alphabet. This applies to the postal address provided under the 'Personal Details' section of the application. If you need to change your address to make your application payment you will be able to update it once your application has been submitted.

Need more help? If the error persists, please contact our Future Student Support Team with full screenshots of the error you are receiving and outline all troubleshooting steps you have taken: Submit an online enquiry

If you have received a request for further information, you will need to satisfy the request for the assessment of your application to continue. When information is requested, the status of your application changes to 'Request for Additional Application Info'.

Our Online Application System may continue to display the status 'Request for Additional Application Info', even after you have provided the requested information. Please do not be alarmed – if you have added the requested information to your application and this addition is visible to you, you can disregard this application status. The assessment of your application will continue.

In the event that the information you have provided is not satisfactory, our Admissions Team will be in touch via email with further instructions.

Find the right course for you from a range of over 100 study areas.

Find a course

If you’re looking to start your first degree,  read about our undergraduate courses.

If you’re looking to grow your specialist knowledge or earn professional accreditation industry, read about coursework study in our graduate courses.

The University  offers graduate research courses across all our faculties. For information on our current and upcoming research projects,  see Research at Melbourne.

The University also offers several short courses and MicroCerts designed to help upskill and expand your current industry knowledge. To learn more  read about our professional development opportunities.

Learn more: Find a course

Entry requirements vary depending on the course and level of study (undergraduate or graduate).

You can find the minimum ATAR and the lowest rank selected in the previous year on all our undergraduate course pages.

Once you have identified a course of interest, click on the course and review the 'How to apply’ tab. You can customise information to be specific to domestic or international students and undergraduate or graduate study. On this page you will find the entry requirements.

If you have further questions, click the ‘Enquire now’ button in the ‘How to apply’ tab. The online enquiry form will be directed to the relevant Future Students or Admissions team for that course.

Learn more:
Entry requirements for domestic undergraduate students
Entry requirements for international undergraduate students
How to apply provides entry requirements for all levels of study

Course fees vary depending on your level of study (undergraduate or graduate) and the subjects you take.

If you are an undergraduate student, your Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is subsidised by the Australian Government, and you pay a student contribution amount.

Graduate coursework degree fees will depend on the degree you choose and the type of enrolment or place you're offered.

Most of our graduate research courses offer Australian fee-offset scholarships. Tuition fees may apply to some courses.

You can begin exploring graduate research at the University of Melbourne on our Research Hub to explore your options, facilities, scholarships and more. 

If you have any questions ahead of applying, contact the faculty's dedicated graduate research team here

Once you're ready to apply for a graduate research program at the University, you should review our graduate research application guide.

The University of Melbourne has targeted programs and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, offered through our centres and institutes as well as our faculties, graduate schools, and residential colleges.

Visit Programs for Indigenous students to explore programs and find out about academic, social and cultural support  for Indigenous students.

Murrup Barak aims to provide a safe, responsive and empowering service that supports First Peoples interested in higher education and enrolled at The University of Melbourne, supporting them to reach academic, personal and professional goals.

The Melbourne curriculum enables you to explore your passions and strengths, while giving you the flexibility to specialise when you're ready. You start with a three-year bachelors degree. Once completed, you can enter the workforce with a broad knowledge base and career-ready skills. Or, gain specialised knowledge via a graduate degree or in graduate research.

We offer seven bachelors degrees in the Melbourne curriculum – arts, biomedicine, commerce, design, fine arts, music, and science – covering over 100 different study areas. We also offer specialist degrees in agriculture and oral health, where everything you study is structured for your chosen discipline.

Visit Information for Schools for support, guidance and information about the University of Melbourne's courses, programs and scholarships for prospective students.

To discover all the key information about course eligibility, start with our 'How to apply' page.

How to apply

Enter your ATAR in our ATAR Calculator to uncover your undergraduate study options.

To be eligible for entry to one of our undergraduate degrees, you will need to have completed a qualification equivalent to the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE).

TAFE qualifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis during the selection process to determine whether they are suitable as a basis for entry, satisfy subject prerequisites and our English language requirements.

Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas

You may be eligible for undergraduate study at the University if you have completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in a discipline relevant to your preferred undergraduate degree.

These qualifications can only be assessed if they are graded. Competency-based qualifications (e.g. pass or fail) are not suitable for assessment. During the selection process, a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) will be calculated, with applicants being selected for entry based off their academic merit.

Should your qualification be suitable for entry, you will also need to ensure you have satisfied the subject prerequisites of your preferred course. Additionally, you must ensure you have satisfied our English language requirements.

To receive a comprehensive assessment of your qualifications, you are encouraged to apply.

Certificate IV and lower qualifications

Qualifications of a Certificate IV level and below are not suitable for entry to undergraduate study at the University of Melbourne. If you have not completed higher study, you are encouraged to investigate standard entry pathways to undergraduate degrees at the University.

You must apply for advanced standing on entry or in your first year of study.

You can apply for Advanced Standing (also known as recognition of prior learning) to have credit from subjects you have completed at another institution applied to your studies at the University of Melbourne.

To help plan your studies, you can use our credit tool to calculate how much credit you may be eligible to receive.

If you have received an undergraduate course offer you can start the application process and apply for advanced standing. The University does not assess advanced standing applications until an offer has been made.

If you are applying for a graduate course, your advanced standing application will be assessed at the same time as your course application.

Learn more and apply: Advanced standing

If you are applying for a graduate course, your advanced standing application will be assessed at the same time as your course application. If approved, you will be offered a shorter course, as indicated in your offer letter.  

If you receive advanced standing in your offer letter but it doesn't appear on your study plan, sign in and submit an enrolment enquiry. Select ‘credit for prior study’ and attach your offer letter. We will then update your study plan. 

You may still apply once you have been admitted, however your application will take some time to be processed.

Late applications

Late applications may be accepted up until the end of the first week of the semester and we aim to provide an outcome by the end of the second week of the semester.

Applications received after this will be actioned, but it is possible that credit received may not be applied in the current semester.

Students who do not meet the VCE Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4 prerequisite can pursue a range of options including:

  • Completion of the online Calculus and Probability course offered by the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Melbourne. Completion of Calculus and Probability Online with a score of at least 50% will satisfy the mathematics prerequisite. This course runs at fixed dates throughout the year.
  • Completion of the online Unilearn Senior Mathematics. This offers a self-paced distance education option for applicants seeking to satisfy the mathematics requirement for entry to undergraduate courses. Completion of Senior Mathematics with a score of at least 60% will satisfy the mathematics prerequisite.
  • Equivalent subjects may also be taken as single-subject study through the University’s Community Access Program (CAP), through an adult VCE program, or by enrolling in an equivalent tertiary subject.

Our calculators can help you plan by providing an indication of your eligibility.

Graduate coursework grade conversion eligibility calculator

Determine your eligibility based on previous studies.

Calculate your eligibility

ATAR calculator

Enter your ATAR and uncover your undergraduate study options at University of Melbourne.

Enter your ATAR

Access Melbourne calculator

Receive an indication of your eligibility under our Access Melbourne (SEAS) scheme.

Try the calculator

Credit calculator

Get an indication of eligible credit (advanced standing) to help plan your studies at the University.

Check your prior studies

Find out more about financial aid, scholarships and loan programs to help you with your studies.

Search all scholarships
Loans and financial help

To find a scholarship that matches your circumstances, you can filter opportunities on our scholarship search. Each scholarship has important information regarding eligibility criteria, the application process and benefits.

Many of our scholarships are merit-based and awarded to eligible students based on their academic performance. Other scholarships are need-based, helping to support students who might otherwise miss out on tertiary education.

If you’re ineligible for scholarships at the time of applying, please note that there are many more scholarships available to continuing students who demonstrate academic excellence throughout their studies at Melbourne.

Learn more: Find the right scholarship

Visit our Financial Aid page to find out how we can help you navigate the challenges of having a limited income while studying.  The Financial  Aid team provides information and advice about budgeting, managing debt and Centrelink payments, and can help you to access assistance during times of financial hardship.

Entry pathways

There's more than one way to get into your preferred course at Melbourne.

Undergraduate pathways
Graduate pathways

The Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) is used to measure your overall academic achievement in comparison to other Year 12 students studying in Australia. It is a national rank, not a mark, that indicates your position relative to others in your age group and is used by universities to determine eligibility for entry into a course.

I didn't complete Year 12
If you didn’t complete Year 12 and are a non-school leaver, we have an entry pathway through Access Melbourne, our special entry scheme. You’ll need to demonstrate your likelihood to succeed in your application. If you are already studying at TAFE or university at certificate IV level or higher you'll be able to use those results for your application to study.

I studied at a high school overseas
You’ll need to check if your education provider’s qualification meets the minimum Victorian Tertiary Entrance Requirements.

I studied an International Baccalaureate (IB)
You will be sent a notional ATAR statement. A notional ATAR is a rank calculated by VTAC used to directly compare the results of applicants who have studied under different Victorian educational systems. A notional ATAR is treated equally as a normal ATAR for course selection and all other purposes.

See also 'I don't have an accepted high school qualification, how can I get into an undergraduate degree?'.

If you haven’t completed studies that can be used as a basis for entry to undergraduate study, or achieved competitive scores in your recent studies, there are different ways to become eligible.

Depending on your circumstances, you may want to consider the following pathways:

Domestic applicants:

  • Enrol in your preferred undergraduate course at another institution and achieve a competitive Weighted Average Mark (WAM) or Grade Point Average (GPA) so that you can apply to transfer to the University of Melbourne in a later intake.
  • Consider the non-school leaver entry pathway, our Access Melbourne pathway for mature age students. Note that this is only for domestic applicants who are aged 23 or older and haven’t completed any study that in the past 7 years that can be used as a basis for entry.
  • Check your eligibility for our Diploma in General Studies if you’ve completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent). The Diploma is a one-year pathway program into University of Melbourne undergraduate degrees in Arts, Agriculture, Biomedicine, Commerce, Design and Science. It is taught at our Dookie campus.
  • Complete an approved secondary qualification or adult VCE program.
  • Complete an approved Foundation Studies program at another University. Note that some Foundation Studies programs are not available to domestic students.

International applicants: 

Whichever pathway you choose, you should take care to include studies that satisfy the subject prerequisites for your course of interest. Once you’ve satisfied these requirements, individual subject results will be valid for ten years. Learn more about satisfying subject prerequisites

If you have not already done so, you will need to meet the University's English language requirements.

If you don't meet the direct entry requirements, there are a range of undergraduate entry pathways to help you achieve your dream of studying with us.

Diploma in General Studies
The Diploma in General Studies (DiGS) is taught at our Dookie campus in regional Victoria and offers a pathway to enter the Bachelor of Arts, Agriculture, Biomedicine, Commerce, Design or Science at the University of Melbourne. DiGS will help you to develop the academic skills required for success at university. Upon completion, you may receive guaranteed entry into one of the above undergraduate degrees.

Extended Programs for Indigenous Australian students
Designed for motivated and aspiring Australian Indigenous students who have not obtained the results for direct entry into the Bachelor of Science or Diploma of General Studies. Extended courses aim to build a strong foundation for future success among a range of disciplines.

Study Score Consideration
Sometimes, your ATAR does not reflect your true ability. The University of Melbourne will consider criteria in addition to ATAR to welcome current year 12 students from diverse backgrounds into their preferred course. Find out more on the Study Score Consideration page.

Our Access Melbourne (SEAS/Special Entry Access Scheme) calculator can give you an indication of your eligibility under our Access Melbourne scheme.

Select your preferred degree and enter your personal details: Open the calculator.

Find everything you need to accept your offer and complete your enrolment.

Visit the 'Accept offer' page

Depending on where you complete your high school studies, you'll be considered for different VTAC offer rounds, beginning in December.

Visit the VTAC key dates page for detailed information about VTAC offer rounds relevant to your curriculum.

To accept your offer, follow the instructions in your offer email. You can then enrol and start planning your studies.

You can choose to accept it immediately on the Accept your offer page.

To accept your offer and complete your administrative enrolment, you will need your:

  • Offer letter/email
  • Student ID number (this can be found on your offer letter)
  • Unique Student Identifier (USI)
  • Tax File Number
  • Bank account details (if you will be receiving scholarship payments)
  • Emergency contact details
  • Proof of citizenship

Learn more: Accept your offer

If your offer is conditional, you will need to meet the conditions in your offer letter before you will receive an unconditional offer letter.

Ensure you accept your conditional offer by the due date.

Once you have the documentation to meet your offer condition, you can upload the required documentation directly into your application.

If you need to start your studies later than originally planned, you may be eligible to defer your course for up to one year.

To apply, please see the Defer my offer website for eligibility details and deferral request deadlines specific to you.

It’s important to note that not all courses permit deferrals. If your deferral application is denied, you will need to start your studies as originally planned or reapply for a future intake.

Learn more: Defer my offer

You’re considered an international student based on your citizenship – even if you're currently studying in Australia.

Resources for international students

You’re considered an international student based on your citizenship – even if you're currently studying in Australia. If you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa, you're considered a domestic student

You can submit an application directly with the University or with an authorised overseas representative

During the application process, you may need to provide the following:

To find out more about applying for undergraduate study, please visit our applications guide

If you are an international applicant who has completed prior study in India or Pakistan, you are required to apply through one of the University’s authorised representatives, who will verify your documentation. 

If you are an international student completing an Australian Year 12 program or if you are a current international student at University of Melbourne seeking to transfer to another undergraduate degree, you must submit an application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

There are several ways to satisfy the University’s English language requirements. You may already satisfy the requirements if you have previously studied at an institution where English is the language of instruction. Detailed information for both undergraduate and postgraduate applicants can be found on our English language requirements web page.

If you intend to satisfy the requirement by completing an English proficiency test, please ensure you complete a recognised test. Recognised tests include:

  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
  • Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE).

Please note that English tests must be completed in a single sitting within 24 months of your planned commencement at the University.

International students can apply directly to the University and manage their own application or apply through an official overseas representative (education agent). However, applicants who have studied in certain countries are required to apply through an agent to have their documents verified.

  • International graduate applicants who have studied in Pakistan are required to apply through one of our authorised representatives so that transcripts can be verified. Undergraduate or domestic applicants will have transcripts verified through other methods.
  • International applicants who have studied in China can either apply through an authorised overseas representative or share their academic transcripts using the centre for Student Services and Development (CSSD) (formerly known as CHESICC).
  • International applicants who have studied in India are required to apply through one of our authorised representatives.

You can investigate scholarship opportunities offered by the University of Melbourne on our Scholarships website.

The most common sources of alternative funding if you are an international applicant are home government and Australian Government scholarships. Companies, home universities, professional organisations and charities such as Rotary also provide many scholarships.

Citizens of selected countries may also be eligible for an Australia Award Scholarship from the Australian Government. 

Learn more:
Scholarships to study in Australia
Good Universities Guide

In some cases, a prospective international student may be exempt from paying the mandatory AUD $120 application fee to apply to the University of Melbourne.

Exemptions include:

  • Current University of Melbourne students
  • Applicants who are applying for Research Higher Degree programs (Coursework students must pay the fee)
  • Applicants who are sponsored (fully funded) by a government or private company
  • Applicants who have been given a signed form by a University staff member at an exhibition or interview program
  • Study abroad or exchange applicants, or applicants who have a study arrangement between the University and your partner institution
  • Applicants who are seeking asylum in Australia.

If you do not meet any of the criteria for an application fee waiver, you will be required to pay the fee before your application can be submitted.

For the full list of application fee exemptions and what steps to take, visit How to pay the application fee.

Course fees vary depending on your level of study (undergraduate or graduate) and the subjects you take.

If you are an international undergraduate or graduate coursework student, you'll enter your course as a full fee-paying student. The fees you'll pay yearly will depend on the subjects you take.

Fees for graduate research courses will depend on the course you choose and whether you receive a tuition fee-remission scholarship.

Learn more about fees for international students:
Undergraduate course fees
Graduate coursework fees
Graduate research fees

Our financial services team can give you advice on scholarships, grants and how to budget for living and studying in Australia. International students may be eligible for loans, grants or other types of financial assistance available through government and private programs in their home countries.

Visit International loan programs and financial aid for more information.

The Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is an official document issued to international students by universities in Australia. It confirms that you have accepted a place in a course and have paid your tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover premium (OSHC).

Your CoE must be submitted as part of your student visa application.

You will receive your CoE within 10 working days after submitting your International Student Acceptance and Payment Agreement. It will be sent to the email address you listed in the agreement. If you haven't received your CoE after this time, please contact Stop 1.

All new acceptance agreements must be submitted on the International Student Acceptance and Payment Agreement, or the Get Started page.

Register for email updates

Sign up to receive the latest information about courses, upcoming events, and news from the University.

Subscribe now

Call us or submit an online enquiry on the Contact Us page.

Murrup Barak supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who are studying or considering study at university.

Visit the International student support page for important information about visas, offshore study, information sessions and more.

For common questions about travelling to Melbourne, transitioning to life in the city and on-campus learning, visit International student FAQs.

Find out more about your teen's journey with Australia's leading university, knowing that their future is at the heart of our teaching.

View ATAR release dates, VTAC change of preference periods and offer rounds. Visit key dates.

Read about our COVIDSafe measures, what to do if you have symptoms, and everything you need to know about looking after yourself and others on campus.

FAQ: Current students

Help with questions about course planning, timetables, wellbeing, exams and more at Stop 1.

Glossary A-Z

Definitions for terms you may come across at the University of Melbourne.

FAQ: VTAC - changing preferences

Feel assured in your course preferences and plan ahead with confidence.

FAQ: Guaranteed graduate pathways

High achieving students have access to a range of graduate degree pathways.

FAQ: University library

Learn about library access, research and borrowing at the University.

FAQ: University accommodation

Find answers to commonly asked questions about University Accommodation.

FAQ: Micro-credentials

Learn more about Melbourne MicroCerts, a small, focused unit of study for professional development.

FAQ: High School Extension Program

Our Extension Program enables students to study university subjects in their final year of high school.