Entry requirements

Undergraduate study

See if you're eligible to apply for a domestic undergraduate degree. Each course has minimum entry scores, subject prerequisites, English language requirements and fees you'll need to be aware of before you apply. If you have a high enough ATAR score you may also qualify for a Graduate Degree Package.

Minimum eligibility

If you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa, you're considered a domestic student.

To be eligible to apply for undergraduate degrees, you also need to have:

  • successfully completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification – this includes Australian and New Zealand students who have studied interstate or overseas and have completed their secondary studies overseas
  • completed and achieved the required marks in each of the prerequisite subjects for the degree
  • completed any extra requirements for the degree
  • achieved the minimum ATAR (or equivalent) for entry to the degree, with the exception of applicants eligible for one of our special entry schemes
  • met the English language requirements.

Meeting minimum entry requirements means you’re eligible to apply for our courses. It doesn’t guarantee selection. You need to apply for Melbourne courses before you can be assessed for admission.

To find out about our admissions criteria, see How you're selected

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants

If your results are below the minimum ATAR for entry, Murrup Barak – Melbourne Institute for Indigenous Development can help you transition to university studies.

You can access mentoring, support and links to undergraduate courses, special entry programs, scholarships and undergraduate degrees tailored to your needs. This includes information on how to apply for our Bachelor of Arts (Extended) and Bachelor of Science (Extended) degrees, specifically designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants.

Visit Murrup Barak

Entry scores & ATAR

How it works

Your ATAR or nominal ATAR is calculated by VTAC. Any contributions to your ATAR, such as results from university subjects studied in a University of Melbourne extension program are done by VTAC when they assess your application.

The University of Melbourne cannot adjust your ATAR score.

Entry scores by course

You can find minimum ATAR and Clearly-in Rank scores on all undergraduate course pages. Clearly-in Rank is the lowest score students were granted entry to Melbourne courses in 2018.

If your ATAR is above the lowest score to which an offer was made, and you meet prerequisite requirements, you'll be made an offer for the course you've applied for.

Visit VTAC to find out more about your ATAR.

Graduate Degree Packages

If you have an exceptionally high entry score, you may also qualify for a Graduate Degree Package into a some graduate degrees.

See Graduate Degree Packages

Non-ATAR adjustment factors

Previously known as 'bonus points', adjustment factors are additional points used in combination with your ATAR to come up with your course Selection Rank. They won't change your ATAR. Instead, they change your Selection Rank and help you get into courses below the ATAR to which an offer was made.

When you're assessed for selection, adjustments can be made on things like equity, location, subjects studied, elite athlete or artistic performer talent, and maximum adjustments you can receive across all areas to make up your Selection Rank.

To have adjustment factors applied, you need to qualify and apply with Access Melbourne.

Apply with Access Melbourne

Mid-year application entry standards

Some courses also accept applications for mid-year entry. The indicative entry standards are different than for entry in semester one.

To find out what these are, see mid-year applications

Prerequisite requirements

In most cases you’ll already have satisfied subject prerequisites through completing and passing your Year 12 studies in the last two years. If you haven’t, you can satisfy prerequisites also by:

  • Submitting past VCE Unit 3/4 or equivalent studies you've done in the last 10 years.
  • Doing an adult VCE program, such as Adult Community Education (ACE), Technical and Further Education (TAFE) and Centre for Adult Education (CAE). See Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) for a full list.
  • Studying single subjects through the University of Melbourne. Subjects they offer through the program include Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths Methods, Physics and Specialist Maths. See Single subject studies
  • Studying and successfully completing subjects through Melbourne’s Diploma in General Studies. DiGs subjects you can study include Biology, Chemistry, English and Further Mathematics. See Diploma in General Studies

Subjects equivalent to course prerequisites

There are also equivalent tests you can take to satisfy published prerequisites for VCE Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths Methods, Specialist Maths and Physics.

View equivalent subjects to course prerequisites

English language requirements

You can satisfy English language requirements by:

  • completing English or English as an Additional Language (EAL) at the required level in an Australian Year 12 or the International Baccalaureate (IB), or
  • completing at least 18 credits of Level 3 English at the required level in the New Zealand National Certificate of Education (NCEA).

If your English score is in the 25-29 range (or a VCE ESL study score in the 30-34 range) you’ll be required to take a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) on enrolment and follow recommendations for language support.

Find out more about DELA

Our admissions criteria

If you meet all these entry requirements, you're eligible to apply for our undergraduate degrees.

Your application will be assessed based on our admission criteria.

To find out about how we assess your application, see How you're selected

Don't meet entry requirements?

If you don't meet requirements there are other pathways for entry to Melbourne undergraduate degrees.

Do single subjects through the Community Access Program

You can study single subjects in enabled mode to satisfy subject prerequisites.

To find out more, see Single subject study

Do equivalent tests

There are also equivalent tests you can take to satisfy published subject prerequisites.

See ways to satisfy subject prerequisites

See equivalent tests

Apply for undergraduate degrees

Ready to apply for a Melbourne undergraduate degree? Find out how to prepare your application and apply online.

Find out more