Fees and payments

Undergraduate study

As a domestic undergraduate student your Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is subsidised by the Australian Government. You pay a student contribution amount, determined each year by the Australian Government and the subjects you enrol in. This amount depends on the subjects you take, not the overall course you're studying. There's also a Student Services and Amenities Fee plus additional expenses you'll need to consider, including course materials, accommodation and living costs.

Tuition Fees

Your student contribution amount will depend on the subjects you choose to study each year.

How will the Australian Government’s Job-ready Graduates Package affect my Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) fees?

From 1 January 2022, additional eligibility requirements were introduced for accessing Commonwealth Supported Places and HELP loans.

Students commencing a course of study for the first time

From 1 January 2021, all students who are commencing a course of study on a Commonwealth Supported Place will pay the current student contribution amounts.

From 1 January 2022:

  • All students studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) will be entitled to undertake seven years of full-time study or part time equivalent of Commonwealth supported study at any Higher Education Institution. This is referred to as your Student Learning Entitlement (SLE). Additional SLE are available in some instances. If you expend your SLE entitlement, you will no longer be eligible for a CSP and may need to transfer to a Full-Fee Paying place for the remainder of your study.

Learn more about SLE

Students changing to a new course of study from 2021 onwards

If you are commencing a new course of study from 2021 onwards, you will pay the current student contribution amounts. This includes students who have completed an undergraduate degree and are commencing a graduate course. It also includes students who are part way through a course but are changing to a different course from 2021 onwards, or students who are transferring from one institution to another.

There are a small number of exceptions to this. For example, if you completed a course of study before 1 January 2021 as a Commonwealth Supported student and you subsequently go on to study a related honours course, the grandfathering arrangements will apply to you.

More information

Australian full fee paying places are only available to undergraduate courses where the student was originally enrolled in an international fee place but was granted Australian permanent residency. The University's tuition fee terms and conditions and the subject fee calculation below are only applicable to students that were granted permanent residency and are enrolled in a full-fee paying place.

How subjects are calculated

The cost of each subject is determined by the discipline fee band it's grouped into and its study load. These fee bands are determined by the content of the subject, not the course.

subject study load (as fraction)
x subject fee ($ per study load)
cost of subject

Most undergraduate courses require you to enrol in subjects from more than one discipline fee band for a total study load across all subjects of 100 credit points (1 EFTSL) per year.

More information on subject fees

Student Services and Amenities Fee

You'll also need to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) that goes towards providing you with essential services and support when you study. The amount you're charged will depend on whether you're a full-time or part-time student.

If your study load is less than 75% of the normal full-time study load you'll be charged as a part-time student. If this changes to a full-time load, or vice versa, your SSAF charge will be recalculated.

See Student Services and Amenities Fee

Other expenses

You also need to factor in additional expenses associated with your course, including the cost of textbooks, equipment, technology, resources for special projects and excursions. There will also be additional costs living in Melbourne, including accommodation, food, weekly bills, transport, social activities and club memberships.

For help budgeting for study at Melbourne, see Financial aid


You can find fees owing on your Statement of Liability with due dates and instructions on how to pay.

Paying your tuition fees

You can pay your CSP student contribution amount up front through your student account or defer part or all payment through HECS-HELP for eligible students.

There are loan limits for HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP loans as we as lower income thresholds for loan repayments. To find out more see Study Assist HECS-HELP

Learn more about HELP

Paying the Student Services and Amenities Fee

You can also pay your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) up front through your student account or, if you're eligible, defer payment of the SSAF by applying for SA-HELP assistance.

Find out about SA-HELP

Making fee payments up front

If you want to pay any fees up front, you can pay online or over the phone using BPAY®. To find out how, login to your student account, view your Statement of Liability and follow the instructions on how to pay.

See Students - Pay my fees

Unpaid fees and refunds

If any outstanding fees remain unpaid, your enrolment will be cancelled and you'll need to reapply for the course. You'll remain liable for any outstanding debt. There are some circumstances in which you may be able to request a refund. To find out what these are, see Section 3: Refund policy - Terms and conditions

Also read our student loans, fees and charges policy

Funding your studies

There are financial loans, scholarships and bursaries that can hep you pay your student fees and other living expenses.

Financial aid and support

To help with the cost of living while you study, you may be eligible for Australian Government financial aid, including Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy. To find out how these could help your situation, visit the DHS – Centrelink payments and services.

Our financial services team can also give you advice on scholarships, grants and how to budget for living and studying at Melbourne.

See Financial aid

Scholarships and bursaries

We also offer a range of scholarships and bursaries that can help you with tuition and living costs while you're at Melbourne.

Some scholarships may cover either part of or the whole of your fees or may guarantee you a Commonwealth Supported Place. Others are one-off grants to help with the cost of living while you study. Faculties and Graduate Schools also offer a number of other scholarships and bursaries.

See Melbourne Scholarships

Read our tuition fees policy

It's important you read our tuition fees policy for domestic students. Once you enrol you'll be bound by our fees policies, terms and conditions.

Read now