Entry requirements

Learn more about our entry requirements for international students including minimum entry scores, course prerequisites and our English language requirement.

Are you an international student?
You’re considered an international student based on your citizenship – even if you're currently studying in Australia.

To apply for a Melbourne undergraduate degree, you'll need to meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:

  • Complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification
  • Meet any additional academic requirements necessary for application to your preferred undergraduate degree. These include prerequisite subjects, prerequisite tests, portfolio submission, interviews or auditions
  • Meet our English language requirement.

Meeting minimum entry requirements means you’re eligible to apply for our courses. It doesn’t guarantee selection. You need to apply for courses with Melbourne before you can be assessed for admission.

Minimum entry scores

Guaranteed or indicative entry scores have been set for international applicants seeking entry based on overseas secondary school qualifications, Australian secondary qualifications or through a foundation program.

If you meet the required scores, as well satisfy minimum entry requirements, subject prerequisites and English language requirements, you may be guaranteed entry into an undergraduate degree.

Guaranteed scores apply only if no further study has been undertaken after completion of your secondary education or foundation program.

See indicative entry scores for international students

You’ll need to satisfy subject prerequisite requirements for the course you've applied for. This ensures you have the right skills, knowledge and experience required for the course. If you haven’t, you can satisfy prerequisite requirements in a number of ways, including:

Past VCE Unit 3/4 or equivalent studies

You may satisfy your course prerequisite if you have completed the relevant VCE Unit 3/4 or equivalent subjects in the last 10 years.

An adult VCE program

You may complete one of the following programs to meet the prerequisite of your chosen course Adult Community Education (ACE), Technical and Further Education (TAFE) and Centre for Adult Education (CAE).

See Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) for all courses

If your receive an offer conditional on meeting our English language requirement, you may meet this by completing an English language proficiency test or through previous study in English.

We have made some temporary revisions to the English language requirement to accommodate challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. For courses commencing mid-year 2020 and all intakes in 2021.

Learn how to meet our English language requirement

Do you need help meeting our entry requirements?

Learn more about the different pathways available to help you meet our course prerequisites and English language requirement.

Trinity College Foundation Studies

Develop essential knowledge in your chosen study area. A foundation program will help you to meet course prerequisites and English language requirements for your preferred undergraduate course at Melbourne.

Learn more about Trinity College

English language programs

Successful completion of Hawthorn-Melbourne's, University of Melbourne English Language Bridging Program (UMELBP) can help you meet our English language requirement. UMELBP is a 10-week course that will develop your English language and study skills.

Find out more about UMELBP

You'll need to accept your offer and enrol at Melbourne to receive you Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). With your CoE you can then apply for your student visa.

Important information

With an Australian student visa, you can only take full-time study in a CRICOS-registered course.

You need to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you arrive. You may also be required to do additional character and health tests where required.

See visa information for studying in Australia

Students under 18

If you're under 18 years of age, you'll also need to have appropriate accommodation, support and welfare arrangements in place in order to have your student visa approved.

Requirements for under 18 international students