Production Animal Science
Where will this take me?
Animal production relies on skills in and knowledge of animal physiology, growth and nutrition, health and disease, welfare science and behaviour. Students who complete the major in Production Animal Science can consider a range of interesting careers or enter further study in agricultural science or veterinary medicine.
INDUSTRIES AND ROLES
Following a major in Production Animal Science, potential careers include:
- Animal nutritionist: improve livestock growth and productivity
- Animal health or welfare officer: help to enforce the law and educate the public
- Quarantine officer: maintain biosecurity, keeping Australia and other countries disease-free
- Pharmaceutical company representative: inform producers of the latest medical advancements and how and when to use them
- Feedlot manager: combine the above skills to run an efficient, profitable and ethical operation
- Extension officer: explain the latest scientific research to individual farmers and businesses, and help them to find technical solutions to issues.