Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography
The Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography (FCU TOE) Course offers a comprehensive knowledge base through learning practical skills in transoesophageal echocardiography to complement clinical evaluation.
The course has been designed to use the CAE Vimedix Ultrasound Simulators to reinforce clinical simulator case studies. Learn practical skills in focused cardiac ultrasound transesophageal echocardiography (FCU TOE), and additional learning that outlines both normal and pathology cases relevant to anaesthesia, critical care, emergency medicine, surgery and internal medicine.
Each 3-hour workshop caters for a maximum of 5 participants per simulator, allowing for focused group learning with an experienced trainer.
Designed for Anaesthetists, intensive care, and emergency department physicians, and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-Of-Care (POC) transoesophageal guidance techniques.
- Acquire the TOE views
- Understand haemodynamic State Assessment
- Perform limited valve assessment using 2D and colour flow Doppler
- Putting it all together – completing iHeartScan
- Writing an iHeartScan report
- Practical experience in performing and reporting an iHeartScan on simulated and real patients
The course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials and 20 online case studies. This provides the knowledge base to perform and interpret basic TOE.
- Three-hour workshop. Supervised orientation workshop.
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. 10 online cases to perform using the simulator. The participant in their own time will work through a case study, acquiring images, interpreting pathology, writing a report and completing assessments relevant to the case. At the end of this stage, there is an online MCQ exam.
- 30 online logbooks to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
This course is available for claiming below CME / CPD:
For more information, go to How to Claim CME and CPD.
T: +61 3 8344 5673