Master Class in Principles of Surgical and Restorative Implant Dentistry
Master Class Program - Principles of Surgical and Restorative Implant Dentistry – Intermediate Level
Course Description: An intensive course in the theory and practice of surgical and restorative implant treatment. Under the guidance of specialist practitioners, this program will teach you the skills necessary to safely and effectively place and restore non-complex implants in your own practice. The course covers treatment planning for implants and restorations using the participants own patients and supervised placement of implants at the Melbourne Dental Clinic and the subsequent restorations in these patients completed at your own practice.
Program Delivery – Online Blended Learning and Hands-on Pre-clinical session
- Online web lectures via Learning Management System, Canvas.
- Online Live Q&A Session for follow up questions and interaction with the presenters.
- Hands-on Pre-clinical lab session – hands-on exercises using surgical training kits.
- Hands-on Clinic sessions – placement of implants in four patients by the participant as well as the subsequent restoration of these patients.
- Final 90 minute online ITI examination – successful applicants will be awarded the “ITI Certificate in Implant Dentistry – Intermediate Level”
- Held over four modules throughout 2023, the small group teaching is designed to give participants a premium close up teaching experience with clinical mentors.
- Please note: Upon enrolment into this program, access to the Canvas Community for the online learning will be granted at the end of January 2023.
Course Outcomes: On completion of the program participants will have learned the skills to be able to place and restore straightforward dental implants.
- An in-depth understanding of the biological processes of osseointegration in general.
- An in-depth understanding of surgical diagnosis, treatment planning and surgical management of simple surgical cases.
- Through a series of practical exercises and hands-on surgical training, participants should be familiar with the surgical implant placement in simple clinical situations.
- Participants will be familiar with Straumann implant componentry and the reasons why implant treatments may be useful in their practices. Participants should feel able to begin placing implants in uncomplicated clinical situations.
Module 1 - Thursday 30 March 2023 from 9.00am - 10.00am
Online lectures must be completed by participants before this date in order to attend the Live Q&A with presenters.
Online pre-recorded lectures accessed via Canvas and online Live Zoom Q&A with participants and presenters
- Managing the implant patient: Patient assessment / Documentation / Informed consent / Patient expectations / Effective communication / Treatment proposal
- Site Assessment: Planning the restorative space / Surgical and radiographic (including 3D anatomy) / Requirements for obtaining diagnostic CBCT
- Surgical Planning: Timing of implant placement / Principles of GBR / Principles of Implant Surgery / Principles of flap design / Periosteal releasing incisions / Post-operative management and second stage surgery
- Virtual Implant Prosthodontic Planning: Date acqusition, file merging, file segmentation / Planning implant placement for 3 virtual cases / Design of the surgical guide
- Selection criteria for live cases: Proper documentation including photographs, models (virtual and analogue), radiographs / Case presentation examples and template / Assigning mentors
Module 2 - Day 1 - Friday 12 May 2023 from 9.00am – 5.00pm
Held at the Melbourne Dental School.
Full day face-to-face pre-clinical lab sessions. Online live case presentations with participants and mentors - held on an alternate day.
- Hands-on: flap and drilling exercises on fully edentulous and partially edentulous models to understand the drilling sequence.
- Implant placement: in 3 cases using custom 3D printed guides fabricated.
- Virtual Implant Prosthdontic Planning and Data acqusition, file merging, file segmentation.
- Case Presentations: participants will present their cases (this will be completed on an alternative date)
Module 2 - Day 2: Friday 26 May 2023 from 9.00am – 5.00pm
Participant Case Presentations - Live via Zoom
- Participant case presentations via Zoom to be scheduled throughout the day.
- Mentor/Mentee case presentation allocated times will be confirmed once program enrolments confirmed.
Module 3 - Day 1: Friday 23 June 2023 from 8.00am – 5.00pm
First periodontal surgery day at MDC
Face-to-face live surgery held at MDC (Day One):
- Live surgery: Candidates are paired to surgically assist each other with surgery. Each candidate treats two patients, one in the morning and one in the afternoon under the supervision of a mentor.
Module 3 - Day 2: Friday 4 August 2023 from 8.00am – 5.00pm
Second periodontal surgery day at MDC
Face-to-face live surgery held at MDC (Day Two):
- Second periodontal surgery day at MDC with mentors, participants and patients.
Module 4 - Friday 3 November 2023 from 9.00pm – 5.00pm
Participant case presentations via Zoom to be scheduled throughout the day. Mentor/Mentee case presentation allocated times will be confirmed once program enrolments. Final online ITI 90 minute examination.
Online live Zoom case presentations with participants and head of mentors. Online ITI final assessment
- Participants final case presentations.
- ITI on-line assessment
Applications for this program will be assessed on the criteria below. Please note that previous restorative experience is mandatory. It is recommended that the applicant will have restored a minimum of 20 implant cases.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and note in your application letter:
- previous restorative experience including implant courses attended, CPD, industry, other
- number of cases and implants restored
- implant systems used
- general dental surgical experience
- implant surgical experience
- successful applicants will be contacted via email at which point enrolment will be made available via the e-cart web site.
For enquiries, contact: email@example.com
This course is proudly sponsored by:
Check out a full profile on the presenters.
Professor Ivan Darby
Associate Professor Stephen Chen
Dr Luan Ngo
Associate Professor Roy Judge
Dr Hossam El-Haddad