Single subject study

Simple steps on applying for single subject studies under the Community Access Program (CAP). Each subject has specific eligibility and entry requirements you'll need to be aware of when applying. You can find these in the University Handbook.

Please follow steps 1-6 below before your submitting your CAP course application, as outlined in Step 7.

Choose the subjects you want to study. You will need to enter the subject name and code in the online application, as outlined in Step 7.

Take a look at the University Handbook for details of all subjects offered.

Go to the subject entry in the handbook to see detailed information about your chosen subjects. Tip: You will need to refer to information in the tabs of the ‘About this subject’ to complete your application – as mentioned in the steps below.

If the subject is available for single subject study it will be stated in the subject entry of the handbook in the ‘Further Information’ tab as ‘Available through the Community Access Program’ (example below). If this section is not visible it means the subject is not available for single subject study.

Keep in mind not all subjects are available for single-subject study or as part of the Community Access Program. Some also have quotas and many have strict application deadlines.

See single subject availability for details of quotas and subjects not available through CAP.

To find out about fees for each subject, see Single subject fees and payments

You need to check which study period (semester/month) the subject is taught. This will be shown in the ‘Dates and Times’ tab of the subject entry on the handbook website.

To determine if the subject is available for CAP study, it is shown in the “Further Information” tab of the subject entry on handbook.

You will also need this to check the application closing date and to know what intake to apply for (steps 3 and 6 below).

You need to apply for the intake the subject is taught (the one you want to study in, if it is taught multiple times a year) and the course code you apply for depends on the level of the subject and study mode you have chosen.

Which intake to apply for?

The table below will help you identify which study period you should apply for. If you are applying for more than one subject please use the study period of the subject with the earliest teaching period start date.

This will be shown as the ‘Teaching Period’ in the Dates & Times tab of the subject entry in the University Handbook

2019 teaching period start date * Study period to select
From To
1 December 2019* 17 February 2020 Summer
18 February 2020 15 March 2020 Start Year
16 March 2020 31 May 2020 Autumn
1 June 2020 14 July 2020 Winter
15 July 2020 9 August 2020 Mid Year
10 August 2020 30 November 2020 Spring

Which course code do I apply for?

Use the table below to check which course code you need to apply for in the online application.

Study level Course codes for Assessed study mode Course codes for Non-assessed study mode

Remember: if you are applying for both undergraduate and graduate subjects you will need to submit separate applications for each subject level.

You can apply to study single subjects in either assessed or non-assessed modes.

If you're applying for enabling study you'll need to specify this in your application (in the section “Purpose for Study”). Please note that you will need to provide either the Course Code and Name for the course you will be applying for, or alternatively the website address, which shows the subjects you need to undertake to meet the prerequisites under enabling study.

For further information on the study modes, see Single subject study

Prerequisites and other entry requirements

You don't need to be a university student to study single subjects, you may however need to meet subject prerequisites and other entry requirements. These will be listed in the ‘Eligibility and Requirements’ tab of the subject entry in the handbook.

Some other information in this section that you should also check are ‘Recommended background knowledge’ and ‘Core participation requirements.’ Although these aren’t required for eligibility they may help you determine your likelihood of successfully completing the subject.

If you're studying a single subject to enable you to get into a course there are special conditions to be aware of when you apply. To find out, see bridging and enabling studies.

University of Melbourne students

University of Melbourne students who are undertaking CAP study concurrently with an award program, must not exceed a total study load of 50 points for a half-year period unless approved to overload by Stop 1. If you intend to study more than a total of 50 points of combined enrolment in CAP and award study in a half year period, you must apply to overload via the Enrolment Variation form, ensuring that you meet the enrolment overloading eligibility requirements. Please see the Enrolment Overloading FAQ for further information.

Credit for single subject study will not be granted towards your current award course.

If you are an international student, please note that student visa holders cannot extend the duration of their course as a result of undertaking CAP study.

International applicants

Enrolling in single subjects is conditional on having the right visa from the Department of Home Affairs. If you hold an Australian visa, please check whether undertaking single subject CAP study does not violate your current Australian visa conditions.

You can check your visa entitlements through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO). If you have concerns, contact Student Visa Support

You can also engage the services of a registered migration agent. Fees for their service will apply.

Application closing dates for common study periods in 2019 are:

Semester Teaching Period * Application closing date ~ Late application closing date ^
Summer Term 2020 2 January – 1 March 2020 Friday 6 December 2019 Friday 3 January 2020
Semester 1 2020 2 March – 31 May 2020 Sunday 10 February 2020 Monday 2 March 2020
Semester 2 2020 27 July – 25 October 2020 Sunday 17 July 2020 Friday 24 July 2020 

* Assessments will still take place after the teaching period is finished
~ Quota subjects may have earlier closing dates, refer to the relevant subject entry in the University Handbook.
^ Late applications will be considered on a case by case basis. If your application is accepted, we will endeavour to provide an outcome by the end of week 2 of Semester. We strongly recommend attending classes (on the assumption that your application will be successful), until you receive your official outcome.

Other study periods

For subjects with different teaching periods the application closing date is two weeks before the start of teaching.

Apply online for single subjects

You can use the subject entry in the University Handbook to help you.

In your application:

  • Search and apply for the relevant course code (please refer to step 3 above for further information)
  • Choose the study period you're applying for (please refer to step 2 above)
  • Enter all details about the subject you’re applying for (including the subject code and name). If you’re applying for more than one subject click “Add answer” to enter more details. If you're applying for undergraduate and graduate subjects you'll need to do separate applications
  • If you're applying for enabling study, you need clearly indicate you're seeking an Enabling offer in the section 'Purpose for Study'. For more information, see bridging and enabling studies
  • Attach any secondary school results, academic transcripts or work experience details if required to satisfy requirements
  • Check all details, agree to the terms and conditions and submit your application.

If you meet all entry requirements, we'll email you directly with an offer for single subject study. You'll need to accept and enrol in the subject within the set deadline, or fees may apply.

To see how to do this, see Offers and Enrolments