Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing
What will I study?
What you will learn
The Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing draws on scientific knowledge and evidence-based research to develop skills in critical care nursing. The focus of the course is to learn to identify and understand complex physiological problems and develop and implement appropriate, safe and timely solutions.
You will learn how to:
- Review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge and identify and provide solutions to complex patient-related problems
- Make high level, independent judgements in a range of clinical technical or care management functions
- Initiate, plan, implement and evaluate nursing interventions within their scope of practice in the context of critical care nursing.
Students will also learn to identify how resilience, effective communication, and patient and family education impact on the outcomes of care.
To gain the Graduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing, you must complete 50 points comprised of:
- One core pre-requisite subject
- Two core subjects; and
- Three specialisation subjects.
Please note: Students must successfully complete the core pre-requisite subject Applied Pathophysiology (NURS90076) before progressing to the other core subjects.
New specialisation available
In 2020, students can choose Intensive Care as a specialisation.
In 2021, students can choose either Emergency or Emergency-Intensive Care as major specialisations. The subjects offered in these specialisations include:
- Emergency Nursing 1 (6.25); Emergency Nursing 2 (6.25); and Emergency Nursing Practice (6.25), OR
- Emergency-Intensive Care 1 (6.25); Emergency-Intensive Care 2 (6.25); and Emergency-Intensive Care Nursing Practice (6.25).
The estimated hours required for each subject is between 15-19 hours per week, but this varies for each student and depends on your task management and planning, familiarity with the material, reading style and speed.
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this certificate.