Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work
What will I study?
Intended learning outcomes
This course prepares graduates for narrative therapy and community work.
- Provides graduates with the theoretical and advanced skill base for working with narrative approaches with individuals, families and communities across the life course, particularly in the areas of trauma and recovery.
- Prepares graduates for narrative practice in diverse cultural contexts
- Introduces the specific theories and advanced skills of narrative therapy
- Engages students in critical reflection of their own practice development
- Engages students in practice research and writing for publication.
The Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work is a University of Melbourne postgraduate specialist qualification consisting of 3 subjects to achieve 100 credit points of study:
- Advanced Narrative Skills Development (25 points)
- The Art of Narrative Practice (25 points)
- Narrative Practice and Research Synthesis (50 points).
Each subject in this course is formally assessed to meet the requirements of University accreditation. Assessment is designed to be practical and relevant to industry professionals. The type of assessment includes recorded interviews, written reflections and contact logging with feedback provided throughout the course on progress.
The final subject, Narrative Practice and Research Synthesis, requires all students to develop a critical understanding of research concepts and methods, and to engage in their own practice research project. This requires integration of their theoretical and practice knowledge gained from previous subjects in the course.
Teaching dates (2021)
|Subject title||Teaching dates|
|Advanced Narrative Skills Development (SCWK90060)||15 February 2021 - 16 July 2021|
|The Art of Narrative Practice (SCWK90062)||26 July 2021- 19 November 2021|
|Narrative Practice and Research Synthesis (SCWK90061)||15 February 2021 - 3 December 2021|
Can I do the Masters?
This short video compilation made by previous students attempts to answer this important question.
Sample course plan
View some sample course plans to help you select subjects that will meet the requirements for this degree.
100 point program
Explore this course
Explore the subjects you could choose as part of this degree.