Doctor of Philosophy - Architecture, Building and Planning
- CRICOS code: 056961K
1. Check your eligibility
Please ensure that you meet all the entry requirements before applying. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
2. Check the scholarship deadlines
Graduate Research applicants can apply at any time, however to be considered for the Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarship applicants must apply by no later than 31 October.
3. Prepare documentation
Along with the online application, applicants should provide:
- Academic results and proof of graduation
Include scanned copies of official transcripts from every higher education institution you have attended, together with a grading scale used by the University (faculty/department) where you completed your 4-year Bachelor (Hons) degree and/or Masters degree. If there is no proof of graduation on your transcript you must include a copy of the graduation certificate with your application.
- Evidence of research experience
Applicants are required to have conducted a research project equivalent to 25% of a year’s full-time study at fourth year honours or Master level. Applicants transcripts must clearly show when the 25% research project was completed. If this is not clear from the transcript a letter from the University/supervisor should be attached as evidence.
- Curriculum Vitae
A current CV outlining work experience relevant to your proposed field of research, prior research background and details of any research publications. Sample format for the required CV.
- Research proposal
Applicants for graduate research programs must include a research proposal. The proposal should be two to three pages (1,500-2,000 words) in length and address the following:
- The research question expressed briefly and in simple English (it can include technical terms)
- An explanation of the problem(s) to be explored (including aims and background),
- Articulation of the research objectives or hypotheses to be tested
- The significance of the research (including placing the proposed research within existing academic literature)
- Brief outline of the proposed research method
- A suggested work plan, including stages of research and timeline
- Personal experience in the proposed area of study and the reasons for wishing to undertake such study
- Two Academic Referee Report Forms
You must provide contact details for your academic referees in the online application form. If it is more than 5 years since you completed your last degree, professional referees may be provided.
- Supplementary informationIf applicable, applicants may also submit supporting evidence of research publications, refereed journals and/or creative works (digital portfolios, design projects).
5. Submit an application
For admission to Graduate Research Degree Candidature and Scholarship, you must submit a course application online. Quote course code DR-PHILABP in your application.
To avoid delay in the assessment of your application, ensure you follow the online application instructions carefully and upload all the required documents. Once a complete application is received, the assessment process can take 8 – 12 weeks before an outcome is finalised.
Research Support Office
Melbourne School of Design
Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
The University of Melbourne