Master of Actuarial Science
- CRICOS Code: 0101265
Why study Actuarial Science at Melbourne Business School?
- Study in a world class research centre: The Centre for Actuarial Studies sits within the Department of Economics and is a registered Centre of Actuarial Excellence (CAE), accredited by the Society of Actuaries (SOA). This is the highest level of recognition the SOA offers to universities, and has specific requirements relating to degree, curriculum, graduate count, faculty composition, graduate quality, appropriate academic integration, connection to industry, and research/scholarship.
- Accreditation: Students who perform to a high enough standard are able to start working towards Part I of the professional requirements of the Actuaries Institute.
- Connect with your peers: The University of Melbourne Actuarial Students' Society provides a calendar of events every year, aimed at building social connections and offering members career opportunities.
- Develop a diverse skillset: take electives from other disciplines, such as economics, finance, management, or our business practicum subjects.
- Become part of our global network: With over 60,000 business alumni in over 100 countries, you’re ensuring that you join a valuable network of peers from all business disciplines right from day one.
What is it about?
Melbourne Business School's Master of Actuarial Science is the fastest graduate pathway to prepare you for the actuarial profession. Graduates of this degree will be analytical in the application of actuarial theory, knowledge, principles, techniques and data. They will be problem solvers capable of explaining, applying and critically evaluating the use of actuarial models, particularly in relation to insurance and superannuation.
Who is it for?
The Master of Actuarial Science is designed to provide non-actuarial graduates with their initial education in actuarial studies. It's suitable for graduates who have mathematical or statistical specialisations (e.g. mathematics, physics or engineering).
Your other Actuarial Science program study options:
Master of Commerce (Actuarial Science): a 1.5-year program, if you have completed an actuarial science major previously. Provides Part II accreditation exemptions* for the Actuaries Institute.
Master of Actuarial Science (Extended): a 2-year program, if you have completed an undergraduate with a strong mathematical component, but may not have sufficient knowledge of statistics or probability. Provides Part I accreditation exemptions* for the Actuaries Institute.
Master of Actuarial Science (Enhanced): a 2-year program, if you have completed an undergraduate with a strong mathematical and statistical component. Provides some Part II accreditation exemptions* for the Actuaries Institute.
Graduate Diploma in Actuarial Science: a 1-year program, if you have completed an undergraduate with a strong mathematical and statistical component with a pathway to the Master of Actuarial Science or the Master of Actuarial Science (Enhanced).
*with sufficiently high academic results
Graduates of the Master of Actuarial Science who have performed at a sufficiently high level, will be eligible for exemption from all of the subjects comprising Part I of the professional requirements of the Actuaries Institute.