Applicants will be required to upload a video recording of two contrasting pieces with an ensemble (if possible), with focus on the style and content of the research project. i.e. if the project is aimed toward free harmonic but rhythmically specific forms, then this should be the focus of the pieces selected. The pieces may be original or chosen from the jazz repertoire depending on the focus of the project.
Please upload approximately 10-15 minutes of music.
Applicants will need to:
- Demonstrate a high level of instrumental/vocal/compositional skill particularly in regard to improvisational practice.
- Frame their work within a creative context and demonstrate how their proposed major project illuminates creativity and craft in performance.
- All applicants will need to their own accompanists (if required).
- Shortlisted applicants that propose a major project that includes performance and composition of new work will need to present a folio of original works (scores) at the interview (can include recording).
- Each piece is recorded in one continuous take, with no editing and appropriate picture and sound quality
- Recordings must be made no more than 6 months prior to application closing date.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited an interview in late November/early December to ascertain the scope of the intended major project and dissertation, and the ability of the applicant to successfully realise the intended project within a practice-led research environment.
Applicants will be charged a non-refundable application fee payable via the supplementary application.
Please note that some domestic applicants may be eligible for a waiver of the supplementary application fee, if you are a Health Care Card holder or have special circumstances.
For persons who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, the supplementary application fee will be waived. Please contact the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development for assistance.
If you believe you are eligible for a waiver of the supplementary application fee, please email email@example.com prior to submitting your supplementary application form, and include a scanned copy of the relevant documentation as evidence of your eligibility.