Bachelor of Science (Extended)
- VTAC Code: 3800510021
- International VTAC Code: NA
Where will this take me?
The Bachelor of Science (Extended) is your first step towards a dream career in science or technology.
It can take you into a hospital, down a mine, behind the controls of a particle accelerator, out onto a coral reef…or into hundreds of other careers and fields. The choice is yours.
For more information, read up on our Bachelor of Science majors to see which careers they could lead to.
Helping you into the workforce
While you’re with us, you can take advantage of internship and mentoring opportunities, employability skills coaching and industry networking events – all designed to help you explore possible careers, build your professional confidence and make connections in your field.
Further study: professional graduate degrees
After completing the Bachelor of Science (Extended), you have the option of going on to study a professional graduate degree.
Some of the possibilities are:
- If you complete one of the engineering systems majors, you can continue on to a Master of Engineering.
- If you study life sciences, you can go on to the Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Physiotherapy or Master of Biotechnology.
- If you pursue mathematics or computing sciences, you can go on to the Master of Data Science, Master of Information Technology, or Master of Computational Biology.
- Want to work in the environmental space? Move on to a Master of Environmental Science, Master of Environment, Master of Geography, or Master of Ecosystem Management and Conservation .
- You can also take your science background to pursue qualifications in law (Juris Doctor), education (Master of Teaching), or social and political science (Master of Development Studies, Master of Social Policy, or Master of Public Policy and Management).
Further study: graduate research
If research is your passion, or you just want to take your science study further, the first step after the Bachelor of Science (Extended) is to complete research training via one of the Master of Science or Master of Engineering degrees, or the Master of Biomedical Science. Alternatively, you can add an honours year to your Bachelor of Science.
After that, you’ll be all set to apply for a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) or another graduate research program.